Baby Heresy project

Riot260

The wife won't let me keep my Heresys for back channel speakers. Too big. I can't complain too much since she hasn't freaked over the fronts. Thus I have decided to attemp and 8" build. I found an 8" Eminence driver Alpha-8A. Looks identical only smaller. But looks can be deceiving.

8" specs:

*Power handling: 125 watts RMS *VCdia: 1.5" *Le: 0.44 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 5.3 ohms *Frequency range: 58-5,000 Hz *Magnet weight: 20 oz. *Fs: 73 Hz *SPL: 94 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.6 cu. ft. *Qms: 4.60 *Qes: 0.68 *Qts: 0.59 *Xmax: 3.2 mm *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 8.24", Hole Diameter: 7.13", Mounting Depth: 3.58".
  • Kapton coil former
  • Polyamide-imide coated copper voice coil
  • Ferrite magnet
  • Pressed steel basket
  • Paper cone
  • Cloth accordian surround
  • Solid composition paper dust cap

I figure the horns don't care about the box size and they will retain their x-over point. Whatever the 8" doesn't handle in the bottom end will be my concession. That is what the sub is for anyway.

My math which is probably pretty basic and where I need some assistance. I was simply multiplying my Heresy dimensions by 0.6667". Simple math 12" to 8".

Though I'm not sure whether this will be way too small or just close enough. I'd be going from approximately a 1.9 cf box to a 1.3 cf box.

Can't go any smaller than 18 1/2 H & 12 W to accomodate the horns and woofer only leaving the depth which should calculate to 8 3/4 but........the horn is too deep at 11 1/8" by itself.

At this point all I can do is make up 1.25" by surface mounting the mid (countersunk into the motherboard) and 1/2" by counter sinking the magnet into the back.

Well so much for a square cabinet. I'll have to build it 5 or 6 sided similar to a "reference Heresy" so it will fit tighter into the ceiling.

I may just build a "reference Heresy"; mount it and ask for forgiveness!?!

I planned to use 3/4"MDF and black ash veneer to match the front speakers.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be great!