Heresy Upgrade ???

soundog

Recently there was a discussion in this forum about mounting Heresy components in larger cabinets. While I wouldn't do it, I was looking through a Parts Express catalog and noticed part # 296-546 - A "Scan Speak Aperiodic Vent". It is touted as a damping device that produces better bass from sealed enclosures that are less than optimum size. I have no idea how this thing works but if anyone has decided to use a bigger enclosure they may want to experiment with these first. If anyone has any experience or understanding about these devices, I would be interested.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=296-546

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Interesting Idea. Why don't you try it and let me know your results Wink.gifWink.gif

------------------

HH Scott Tube FM Tuner LT-110B

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

Because I dont want to punch holes in the backs of my Heresys but figured that those proposing to put their Heresys in a larger cabinet planned to abandon their original cabnets so they would have less to lose. I also hoped someone may have tried these or understood the principle behind them and could predict their effectiveness.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Soundog, the backs of your Heresy's are removable? If so, try cutting two new pieces of plywood the same size as your old back covers with a small hole in each to run your speaker cable through to the old terminal cup, which you can lay inside the cab once unmounted from the old back covers. You can mount the new back covers with experimental ports to your cabs to see if you like the effect. Porting to the rear and low will load the wall behind the speaker and give you more bottom end. Don't worry about the small hole for the cable, it is insignificant to the port size(1-4"). I would try it w/o the aperiodic vents and w/port tubes & see if you like what you hear. One each bottom corner will do the trick.cwm17.gif

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 03-11-2002 at 05:36 PM

SOUNDJUNKIE

That's a great Idea !! Easy to do, won't hurt the original value of your speakers. I'm going to try that when my Heresy's get here from Jobman.

------------------

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-12-2002 at 07:14 PM

hey has anyone tried this option from Layne Audio

Klipsch Heresy 12" Woofers : This Layne Audio exclusive is a new, improved version of the classic Heresy woofer, with an upgraded magnet system and long-throw voice coil. Tired of hearing your old Heresy woofers break up when fed low bass from your CD/ DVD player?? This will help considerably. Only $79 ea for a limited time. This woofer is also appropriate for use in building a standalone subwoofer that is tone-matched to any of the classic Klipsch speakers. These woofers can reach 35Hz in a 3cuft vented box with 96dB efficiency, very impressive.

------------------

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

That possibility has occured to me. But note the "vented" enclosure in the Layne announcement. The Hereesy's would have to be vented to get the full effect of the new woofer. Makes one wonder about the effect of venting on the stock woofer especially using these parts express devices.

Anyway, I'm up to my eyeballs in projects. The EICO HF81 is still begging to be tried out, the JBL bass bins are coming and will need to be hooked up to the parts express amps and placed (no small feat at 140 plus pounds!). I'm going to the Audiofest in Lima and picking up those bargain laScalas in Maryland and visiting my grandchildren on the way, and then there's the curling bonspiels and a huge influx of Olympic inspired wanabees, my 15 year old's basketball games. So if someone else (like NOS) wants to execute soundjunkie's excellent idea and report back to us, I'd be grateful and keep them in my prayers.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

I will most likely try this mod for more bass. But I don't even have my speakers yet. So it will be at least a month before I mess with them. I have to listen to them in there stock form first and with and w/o a sub.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

I have tried the Layne Audio replacement woofers for the Heresy and have found them to be excellent. I have Heresy IIs, and the new woofers appear to be slightly more efficient than the originals, so they play a little bit louder. This makes them match up muth better to the midrange horn. And, not least, they reallly do play better base than the originals.

The combination makes the Heresy's just sound *right*.

Something I should not is that I also stuffed the cabinets with about 2 pounds of polyfill. I did this a couple of months before I switched the woofer. This change did make a bit of an improvement with the stock woofer. However, the results were much better with the Layne Audio woofer.

Another improvement I tried (with my KSW-12 subwoofer)was to attach damping material to the woofer frame. I used plumber's putty, same as with the Heresy horns. The result was much tighter bass from the KSW-12. Together with the Heresy tweaks, I have all the bass I have ever wanted.