HornEd & Yamaha...... Advise....

Mikekid

Hi there. I know you have the RX-V3000 and have spoken pretty highly of it. I just bought one at closeout ($899.00) I could not resist! I want to keep my front effect channels and the new models canned them??? I will be setting this beast up in a couple days. From what I have read in the manual, it looks pretty much straight forward. Is there any particulars I should know about that the manual doesn't explain??

I appreciate your input and ANY advise on this Ed!

Thanks!!

Mike

Congratulations Mike... you have the best Klipsch enhancer for the money currently available. Sadly, too few people took advantage of the Front Effects channels so low demand means higher profits for Yamaha by cutting them out.

Which will likely be good news for some other manufacturer when I make my next receiver upgrade. My K-horn based multi-channel system is slated for tubes all around... based on my confidence in "tubaphiles" like mdeneen, mobile homeless, Clipped & Shorn, arco, fini, MaxG, edster00, and so many more.

I have reposted the photo of the Front Effects speakers mounted on columns. The horns in the speakers are 6' high. Since the photo was taken, I have mounted a pair of KLF-C7's on narrow bookcases in which I can store nearly 200 DVD's. There is a thread from a month or so ago that details building of the Front Effects stands from 4" ABS pipe from Home Depot.

How about displaying a list of your equipment again including what you are thinking of for Front Effects speakers so I can give more definitive information.

Be sure to use an SPL meter (like Radio Shack's analog model for about $35). The test sequence in the Yamaha RX3000 includes an A/B comparison of the front mains and the front effects.

I picked up the Yamaha when it was new and nearly $2k... and I am not one bit sorry. Notice how the Front Effects speakers allow a wide sound stage and still allows you to keep your right and left mains close to the screen to better anchor sounds in relation to events and characters on screen.

Of course, my homebrew modification of a KLF-30 to make a timbre matched center channel elevates the character and quality of sound far above what is usually expected of Legends.

I look forward to your list of goodies... and have displayed mine hoping they may be of some assistance. -HornEd

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS, FIVE+ MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

SETTING THE STAGE FOR THE "THEATER OF THE MIND"...

KLF-30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

KLF-30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners. Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808 Upscale Monster Cables and Interconnects

CHANNELING THE MUSIC EXPERIENCE FROM 2 TO 6!

'97 Klipschorn - Mains, '99 Klipsch Belle - Center '83 Cornwall - Surrounds, '93 Academy - Rear Effects

Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Final Amps, etc. to be determined after long discussions with Klipsch Forum Members.

THE MOVEABLE (EAR) FEAST...

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome... an acoustics challenge in 8' x 30'... vandalized... but soon to be "On the Road Again!"

s>

Goodmorning.

I am replacing my RX-V2090 with this one so the speaker placement will remain the same....for now anyway.. :^)

ChorusII main front

Academy center

KG.5 front effects (6' up and slightly outside the mains)

KG1.5 rear surrounds (6'up from floor)

Sony DVD

Yamaha 5 disc (CD) changer

Mitsubishi VHS

Direct TV Sat

& Basic TV cable

27" Mitsubishi TV (Will upgrade next year)

On the "old" reciever, I have not hooked up the video in/ out and am only using the audio in on the VCR and the Sat box. What does using the audio in/out and video in/out loops on these provide?

Man you have an awesome room there!!!!!!

Like those stands!!

Mike

Glad you liked the HT room, Mike... wait until you see the Heritage Music Room in the new house.

To get the most from your Yamaha RX3000, you should set up your room for as a 6.1 system plus front effects... and set it up with an SPL meter. Your new receiver does a great job on 6.1 recorded DVD's (Like Gladiator in dts, etc.) and comes close to that lofty standard with 5.1 program material. I use an Academy as a rear center for my 6.1 music system (Belle for front center). Of course, the rear center is the least critical tone & timbre match...

There should be some Chorus II's hitting the Forum fairly soon... if you are interested I can probably point you to a pair in Houston, TX.

Personally, I like full range speakers for my surrounds... but you need a room large enough to do it right. Just like Front Effects work best when they are about 3' outside of the mains... as shown in my HT room photo. Obviously, the size shape and contents of a room are very much a large part of the character of sound that hits your ears in the sweet spot.

A little trick that I have used setting up Front Effects is to match the Front Effects timbre/volume with the elevated center speaker rather than the mains. Floor standing mains will have a lower timbre than the same model speaker horizontally mounted atop a TV (caused by the lack of floor reinforcement of the bass) ...and that's okay... they still provide the auditory clues that provide the distance while the mains and sub provide the umph!

Set up correctly, none of the front array stands out... but rather becomes a smooth, integrated soundwall.

BTW, I have the same great 5-disc Yamaha DVD player... but replaced it on the HT with a Progressive Scan unit (Toshiba 6200) to feed the RPHD Mitsubishi TV... it also plays HDCD's... and, technologically, getting a bit long in the tooth. If you can find them on close out, they can be an excellent buy. I have not had the "Chroma Bug" problems that some others have had.

I need to get back to work on a special project. Maybe I can squeeze out some more later. -HornEd

Right on kh! That's why I have always kept a two-channel capability in my Music Respite Room. I remember when my big theater woofer with the horn array in the center fed by those big glowing tubes got the best out of my 78's.

I marvelled at how far technology had brought us since that wax cylinder Edison that I found so fascinating on my grandfather's farm... or the big punched disk player that my great grandfather hauled back from Germany in the late 1800's.

I laughed at the first gaudy attempts to make a two channel "stereo" that would rival the sound coming out of my first "K-horn" based hi-fi rig. I have since learned to keep an open ear.

But I will admit, my two channel audio sounds so damn good... it probably desereves a mobile homeless hand!

cwm20.gif -HornEd

PS: Then again, Manuel may persuade Mobile Homeless to take the road to http://popularmechanics.com/technology/audio/1997/6/Hypersonic_Sound/ and be back to one channel again!

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-11-2002 at 02:29 PM

Mike,

Once you go front effects, there is no turning back.Quite an emprovement in the front stage.

Another thing I like about the 3000, is how the Pre-Outs work. You can run an external amp from the pre outs and still use it's on board amps at the same time. they don't cut out. That's how I run two pairs of rear surrounds. The 3000 powers one pair and an external amp powers the other pair.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Hey! I think my wife is gonna kill me with a bazooka if I don't get this entertainment center and all of the crap (stuff as she calls it) that goes on and around it back against the wall pretty quick. I'm getting some really scary looks. I've made a mess AGAIN! Arr Arr...

I'll get back as soon as I have this together and adjusted. Had to move the shelving around for this thing..big and friggen heavy too!

Thanks a LOT HornEd and Qman.................

Mike

OK. It's all up and running. I was using five channel analog into my old RX-v2090 due to the DVD player doing all the decoding. I noticed right away the separation between the channels is MUCH better. I am also noticing some sounds I have not heard before on most everything I play. Could this be due to using the optic cable (toslink)? That was an expensive little cable. There seems to be a bit more hiss in all channels now at loud volume?? Not bothersome though.

The 2090 seemed a little quieter when LOUD.

I used the SPL meter last night and got it "right" now.

Simple on screen adjustments.

I wish I had the room you have there HornEd. I can only use bookshelf speakers in the back and can't fit a rear center....yet.

I looked at the RX-V3200, and found they did away with front effects. It was hooked up and so was the 3000 in the listening room. They both sounded GREAT, but I wanted to keep my front effects and the price difference was huge.

Oh ya..I really like the remote compared to my old one!

Very nice.

I am very pleased with this unit!!!!

Take care

Mike

I am happy for you Mike! Klipsch speakers are so efficient that you can get the most out of them for the least amount of cash with the Yamaha close out deal you got. cwm12.gif Roll on... and when you can add a rear center... it doesn't have to be all that close in timbre or size... your Yamaha will give you 6.1 on every 5.1 program you feed it. -HornEd

WOW HORNED!

THATS AMAZING!!!

How did you make the center? Is it a KLF-30 in a new cabinet?

Nice HT, some day, i will have one like that.

Just a question. Be as GENERAL as you feel comforatable answering. What part of SF do you live in? I was in Burlingame for a while, in some crappy apartment.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

No, Kenratboy, it was really quite simple. I just removed the speakers then removed the motorboard (some call it a baffle board). I used the old motorboard as a template to center the horns on a piece of 3/4" MDF and then flanked the horns with the woofers.

The new motorboard holes were cut, routed and painted to Klipsch factory standards. The speakers were then reinserted (no additional wiring changes were necessary) and the dual ports were left intact.

Now you know for sure, Ken, that when I speak of the benefit of a full sized center I was not kidding. -HornEd