Receiver opinions for Kg4s (looking at Denon)

mabcim

I have looked around the forums and found some information, but it just didn't completely help me. So I thought I post my specific questions.

Right now I have a Denon DRA-1025R with 125watts per channel. I'm finally moving to a 5.1 setup. My fronts are Kg4s.

Looking at new receivers, it seems one has to pay a lot of money to get near 125watts. On my 1025R I can barely turn the volume knob half-way before my ears hurt, so 125 watts is plenty of headroom.

Since I have had the Denon for well over 10 years I'm leaning towards getting that brand again. I have kind of narrowed it down to the AVR-1910/790 or AVR-2310/890. The 1910 is 90w and the 2310 is 105w. So both are less than what I have right now. To get close I have to jump to the AVR-3310 but that is ~$1300 and only gets me 120w.

The 2310 is ~$850 and the 1910 is ~$550. For me, the only differences are the wattage and video processor. However, I don't currently plan to run any video through the receiver. So I'm looking at $300 for 15w.

So is it worth it? Would the 90w have enough headroom to drive my system?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Here is what I suggest. If you are going the A/V receiver route, get the best one you can afford that also has preouts to add an outboard amp in the future. That way you can add some horsepower if you ever need it without having to replace your receiver.

Bill