What should i buy next?

Youngklip

I have a 6 analog preouts and I want a dvd-audio player. I have no analog pre-ins on my receiver. SO can i get a Poweramp and then get the player and use the analog in on the poweramp? Or do i have to get a preamp\pros then the player? Or all 3

------------------

Bose Suck..Period

I am not clear on your question, it is a little late.

You really need 6 channel analog in on a pre amp or receiver.

Then the bass management is still non existent on most pre amps and receivers.

To accomplish DVD Audio with maximum adjustibility it just is not cheap.

As of right now, DVD audio does not come out of a DVD-A player as digital, so an optical input on your preamp cannot be used for DVD-A.

If you connect the DVD-A outputs of a player directly to a power amp you will have no volume control and the system will only operate at maximum volume; not good.

To hear DVD-A you MUST have analog inputs on a preamp (or preamp section of a receiver). You may choose to use stereo analog inputs for DVD-A in stereo a I have. If you want to hear DVD-A in 5.1 mode, you MUST have a preamp with 6 analog inputs (and 6 analog outputs to go to the power amp) or a receiver with 6 analog inputs.

John

yk, i don't see anyway to get 5.1 channel dvd-audio w/ what you have now. for that you have to get a dvd-audio player - that's a given. then u need to get a new receiver w/ 5.1 direct inputs, or a pre/pro w/ same direct inputs AND a power amp.

or you can wait for a remote chance that they come out w/ universal standard for 5.1 dvd-audio over a digital connection (not likely. they'll probably go w/ a firewire from an ieee port 1st & i'm sure your receiver

doesn't have that capability).

like john says you can do 2.0 dvd-audio using 2 analog inputs on your receiver. but i have a question on that. do you have to then put it in like a direct mode

to bypass the adcs, dsp & dacs? i would think if not that would mess w/ the signal. iow, is a dvd-audio player set-up to not allow that format to be sent from the digital out, or is that format not compatiable w/ the dsp & dacs of another processor, or both?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 03-17-2002 at 04:06 PM

bump - anybody got an answer for my above.

are dvd-audio &/or sacd players just manipulated to not

send that material from the digital output? must be just that because if it plays through the analog inputs of a receiver or pre/pro then it's going thru the a/d convertors, dsp, & d/a convertors, unless you have to use a direct type mode.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa12,

Simple answer: DVD Audio discs and Super Audio CD discs and their players are designed ) / lobbying by the Recording Industry of America and most of the major record labels] to PROHIBIT THE TRANSMISSION OF AN EXTERNAL DIGITAL DATA STREAM CONTAINING THE FULL, UNCOMPROMISED, UNRESTRICTED HIGH RESOLUTION SIGNAL. If you take the digital output of the DVD-A or SACD player and route that into your receiver or procesor, you are listening to a lobotomized version of the music.

The only output from the player that carries the full resolution that the player is capable of are the analog outputs.

So, if you want to listen to DVD-A or SACD at its best, you MUST route the analog outputs from the player into your system.

If you take those analog outputs, and allow the receiver or processor to re-digitize them in order to apply DSP or simply because the damn thing re-digitizes every signal whether you want it to or not, the asssuption is that you are losing something, because the A/D and D/A converters on the receiver or processor will, almost surely, be of lower quality / lower resolution that the DVD-A or SACD converters that were used to produce the disc in the first place. So, in addition to six channel analog input, you need those six channels to bypass whatever digital wankyness is going on inside the receiver or processor.

Except, of course, that you DO need bass management, and if bass management is typically done in the digital domain in your receiver or processor, you need a duplicate set of functions implemented in the analog mode, which the manufacturer will, naturally, be perfectly happy to provide free of charge on the basis of good will and global prosperity.

Isn't this just the most well thought out system the consumer electronics industry has produced? Well, except, maybe, for the 64KB segmentation architecture of the original 8088 / 8086 family from Intel...

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

thanks ray! yea that's what i was gettin at. if you run 2 channel dvd-audio (mlp) material from a dvd-audio player L&R (stereo) analog outputs into the say the L&R dvd analog inputs of an a/v receiver, then you're also using the a/d, dsp, & d/a of the receiver's processor,

then would that inhibit/impede the dvd-audio playback.

so it sounds like it just passes the dvd-audio adding some bass mgmt & such. so all they're doing is preventing the material from goin outa the player's digital out. i'm waiting for a single digital or firewire connection for dvd-audio/sacd anyway but still curious. Smile.gif thanks again.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 03-18-2002 at 02:50 PM