Help repair the finish on my Klipsch KP301-B-BR

tensleep

I have a nice pair of the KP301-B-BR speakers. The finish has a few scratches, the tops are a little rough to the touch and one has a white spot in the finish on top:

White spot

Scratches

http://www.micksmothers.net/gallery2/v/Billy/Stereo+Gear/Klipsch+KP301/

I am not sure what kind of a finish is on these - laquer? Shellac? I have used boiled linseed oil with turpentine on a pair of JBL 4410 studio monitors, per the OEM instructions and the natural finish came out nice. I have also used fine grit sandpaper and Watco's Rejuvinating Oil on some Barzilay cabinets and console that turned out well, too. However, these finishes seem to have more of a coating than just oil. I would like to try to repair the original finish prior to completely stripping and starting over. Any suggestions?

I believe it's lacquer..... To get it off requires a random orbital sander, #400, #600 git pads (about 20 of them....) and lacquer thinner to wipe down as the excess residue builds up. To test if it's removed? drop of water will "bead" up on lacquer, if it's off, it will start to soak into the wood (won't hurt it, just wipe it off. You can also tell as the sanding dust will turn from "white" (lacquer) to a light brownish color. Be very careful, change pads often, and wipe off with lacquer thinner often. Let them dry where yo wipe them before going over again. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tips - it seems to be a lacquer or shellac finish, as you described. It is certainly more than just an oil coating - it has a glossy surface, but it is definitely not poly. I'll have to wish for an orbital for Christmas! My other oil finishes only required hand sanding - nothing to remove.