Connecting Video Sources

cluless

I'm in the process of upgrading to Home theather and my next problem (should my receiver ever get here) is

how to connect the video components. Should I connect

directly to the TV or pass everything through the receiver. The receiver, the DVD and the TV all have sufficent I/O jacks to do whatever. I just don't know

what the trade-offs are.

My work in progress

Front Klipsch kg4s

Center KV-3

Rears SS-1s

Reciever Denon 3802 (en-route from east jabip)

DVD Sony NS500V

TV Sony 36 Wega

CD - Old Onkyo Changer

VCR - Assorted

Thans in addvance!

This message has been edited by cluless on 03-11-2002 at 08:00 AM

Having recently fired up my Denon 3802 I can offer a couple of suggestions. Before doing so I must caveat that it looks like your setup has plenty of options that will all result in good quality. I do not know the connection capabilities of your DVD which would be important in some of the decision.

The 3802 requires an output connection to the TV to get your on screen display for setup, etc. You should have one of your units switched through the reciever to get to these functions, otherwise you will be stuck with cumbersome front panel controls or blind remote controls in setting up your system. With the 3802 remember that this is a 'like to like' video switch - this means that you can only switch analog to analog, component to component, S-video to S-video.

As to my set up - regular cable is direct to TV, Digital cable is direct to VCR with VCR analog switched to TV and DVD is S-video switched to TV. Audio is digital for DVD (optical) and CD (coax) and analog from all others - TV, VCR.

If you have special audio requirements (such as I did for wireless speakers out by the pool) you will need to also cable the analog audio on your digital stuff. In the Denon there is no D to A conversion on the analog line out (I believe it is called rec out) - it only switches the analog. This wiring does not degrade your digital audio and gives you full audio switching for all sources.

Write if you get in a jam - The Denon operations manual was written by folks that use English as a fifth language. They spend a great deal of time explaining the obvious and then bury vital information in the most obscure places.

Hwatkins

------------------

Hwatkins

Clueless

This is dependent on the video section and capabilities of your new AVR----and what signal you are trying to pass--don't know much about the Denon line BUT---I believe that the 5803--due out soon---will pass a 1080 signal (HD) whereas your new one won't--not sure about 480--as in DVD--you'lll have tto check the AVR specs).

Also depends on the input package of your TV dsplay--- (whether it has a dedicated 1080 input) and depnds on you end result objective/s---convenience vs best quality video etc

In my case I have a Pioineer 49TX which is THX2 certified and thus does pass 1080---even so---I leave the HiDef signal out of the AVR loop--inputting directly to the TV BUT do run my VCR Svid and DVD component vids into/out of the 49TX and find no discernable singal degradation--effect on end result picture.

Your best answers are probably found on a Denon forum or one devoted to your TV display

IMHO---Dave

Arrrrghhh.

TV has video inputs (1 component, 1 svideo,2 analog)

DVD has component, S-video, analog and...

hwatkins - does the "like to like" and the onscreen

issues combined imply that if a circuit (s-video, analog, component) is not active then on-screen capbilities are not available? For example, If I have the DVD connected to the reciever via component and then the reciever is only connected to the tv via component video. Then the onscreen functions are only available if the dvd is on?

I know I really should wait till the receiver is in before I create problems, but I want to have all the

cabelling on-hand.

Cluless - If you haven't already done so, you can probably download the 3802 owner's manual from the Denon web site and get a jump on figgering it all out.

You don't need to have a video source switched through the Denon to use the On Screen Display of the Denon. You merely need to have a video cable of some type (composite, S-Video, not sure if component is supported for OSD on the 3802 -- it's not on my 3300) connected from the Denon to the TV.

Also, if your TV and/or your DVD player do not support progressive scan or HD, you don't need to worry about whether the Denon will be able to switch those signals, at least in the near-term. Also, I'd be surprised if the 3802 did NOT switch 1080 video signals, but I don't know for sure. (I didn't see a digital cable box in your list of components, so I'm assuming that isn't a consideration.)

I have my three video sources connected directly to the TV - DVD, VCR, antenna (remember antenna's?). If you do this, then you'd also need to hook your Denon to a 4th input on the TV -- composite is fine. The primary reason for hooking the video through your Denon would be so that it can switch sources automatically for you without you having to also switch the TV to the correct source. I use my Pronto remote to switch the source on the TV when it switches the source on my Denon.

I should also mention that another reason I bypassed the Denon for video switching is that I have a ground loop issue and the only way to get rid of it was to eliminate all electrical signal connections from my Denon. I have only optical connections into it.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 03-11-2002 at 11:08 AM

Thanks!

No HDTV, No Digital Cable.

I had previously snagged the owner's manual, and that was the source of some of my confusion. I upgraded all of my cabelling to gold, and wasn't crazy to get an additional component video cable ($50) so I could run the dvd video through the receiver. I'll just run the audio portion to the receiver via optic and go direct from dvd to tv. (Probably direct for vcr also, less wires for the cats to chew on).

My goal is to get this hooked up right, and hooked up once (yeah right) since the TV is a monster to move.

Antennas, mines powered FM for the old tuner, hopefully I wont need it.

Am sacrificing daily to the "back order " gods in hope

of the receiver's arrival.

Thanks

dougdrake is correct for on screen stuff - You have to have the connection from reciever to TV and doesn't have to be switched (my bad). For instance - since I don't have the regular broadcast TV through the Denon I have to switch to my DVD input on the TV to get On screen displays, but I do not have to turn the DVD on.

Denon folks swear there is full bandwidth switching on the reciever - it was confirmed by some folks voicing on the web, although I don't have component in on the TV so I am not able to testify.

I use the unit for video switching (specifically S-video coming with next digital cable box and vcr - 2 weeks or so) because of only one S-video input on TV.

Some helpful places:

http://www.del.denon.com/support/faqs_ht.asp

(you probably have already been here)

http://www.ovationsw.com/AVIA_home_theatre_links.html

(the fine folks at AVIA give some good hooks)

In google go for "Denon Forums" and some helpful places pop up.

I suggest you relax and rely on instinct in setting up. Common sense and keeping it simple works. Also On screen is used rarely after you have worked through the nuances and have set the system to your liking.

BTW - I auditioned and listened to a couple of recievers at home (got about 4 heresy hanging around) and this Denon is truely fine - you will not be disappointed.

HW

------------------

Hwatkins

Thanks for the links, will surf tomorrow before the boss gets in cwm12.gif

Relaxing is something I plan to do alot of when the I finally get my system all together. Maybe I'll even hire out the yard work this summer..

Thanks again yall. See Ya around

This message has been edited by cluless on 03-11-2002 at 04:06 PM