CW 1.5 Updates - help

lucky5115

HiYaAll,

I've just purchased a pair of Cornwall 1983 CBR I.5's in ex shape.

I've got the K77M tweet; K51V mid and K33E woof w/ B2 xover.

I've ordered from Crites the replacement caps to get rid of the oil cans. Visually they're fine. The speakers sound very good. The bass and mid are outstanding; overall good balance w/o having to equalize anything. but I feel I could get a tad better tweet. However, I suspect after 27 years there's prolly some degradation and maybe all is needed is caps to freshen the top.

I'm tossing around the idea of r/r the 77m's or go with w/CT 125's. I understand that it's a direct replacement.

So my ques are:

Is it a good idea to r/r the caps? My thoughts are that after cap replacement maybe the 77M's will come alive and I might not need the 125's.

Should I just r/r the 77's diagphram?

Will the 125's work well with the CW B2?

I don't want too over listen the tweet.

I also don't want to screw with it so as it effects the resale value... I can keep orig parts is vac sealed bag.

Overall do I have a decent driver setup?

sorry about all the Q's it's my ADHD lol

Please help .. newbie here ...All opinions welcome!

BTW, to freshen the cab's I'm going to clean/wipe the raw birch with aceone then hit it with some 0000 steel wool.

This is my xmas pres.. won't fit under the tree .or chimney . lol

Merry Christmas

Ronnie

Ronnie,

Nice score! Get the caps put in and listen some more... a lot more and just enjoy for a while.

I personally really like the CT125 tweeters from Bob, and think they sound much smoother than the K77s. If you decide to try the CT125s, you may find someone with a pair for sale, so th ecost might be pretty much a wash with new diaphragms for the 77s. Most importantly, they really are a drop in replacement. It only took be about ten minutes to swap out the K77s in my LaScalas. It will probably take you longer to get into yours to do the swap.

Do the caps and then listen and enjoy.

Bruce