Klipsch tweeter placement ?

seti

I've been wondering about this for many years but have never asked. The tweeter position on almost all Klipsch speakers is centered above the mid horn or on ealier klipsch it is centered in the mid horn. Was this done just for symetry and asthetics? I've noticed on alot of the modified klipsch speaker that the tweeter is mounted to the side of the mid horn. Are there any draw backs to this position? The main reason I ask is that this seems to be something mainly seen in the diy or mod community not just klipsch mods.

examples

19661.jpgifa2007%2Bwernerenge.com%2Bklipsch%20006

DSC02062.JPG

dscn1922.jpg

I thought that was supposed to be on its side but that is an example. Also the LB76 or little b@stard( can't believe it censored bastard ) has a similar orientation to that cornwall. Those are prety close together as well. I'm not knocking diyers or that orientation but am curious if there are draw backs or benefits to centered tweeters as opposed to side by side.

You can get a better polar response with the tweeter centered above the squawker, especially through the xover region. Putting the tweeter off to the side creates a situation where the polars become wider in the vertical than in the horizontal through the xover...which is usually oposite of the rest of the frequency ranges.

I also find that the vertical orientation offers better imaging - much moreso if you sit closer to the speakers. Our hearing is less sensitive to vertical localization than it is in the horizontal...

It seems like polar response has become a higher level of concern as you look forward through history. I think a lot of it deals with the fact that modern tools make it easier (or even possible) to engineer more completely.

You can get a better polar response with the tweeter centered above the squawker, especially through the xover region. Putting the tweeter off to the side creates a situation where the polars become wider in the vertical than in the horizontal through the xover...which is usually oposite of the rest of the frequency ranges.

I also find that the vertical orientation offers better imaging - much moreso if you sit closer to the speakers. Our hearing is less sensitive to vertical localization than it is in the horizontal...

It seems like polar response has become a higher level of concern as you look forward through history. I think a lot of it deals with the fact that modern tools make it easier (or even possible) to engineer more completely.

Interesting. That makes sense. I'll have to compare vertical versus horizontal tweeter mounting sometime.

Thanks Mike