Speaker Wire Question

August_West

Anti-Cables: 1 foot Stereo set - $25, Banana plug on both end - $40, total - $65, 12-gauge, no sonic signature. They claimed to be cheap.

Radio Shack: 24 feet Stereo set including Banana plug on both end - $9.99, total - $9.99, 12-gauge, what sonic signature? Radio Shack is always cheap.

I spend money on the speakers not the cables.

neo,

Send me a 10 foot pair of coat hangers and I'll evaluate them for you. I'll need pins on the amp end and bananas on the other, thanx (LOL). If you are ever in SoCal you can just stop by.

russ,

so i take it you are a 2ch guy? what other cables/wire have you messed with? have you taken a look into Anticables? have you gone into power cables yet? custom rca's? what gear do you have? you sig just says Herseys.

InVeNtOR,

Yes, dedicated 2 channel guy. I have not tried everything out there in the way of cables, but between myself, my brother and my best buddy, I've tried quite a few, no anticables though. I have two custom power cables but did not really hear any change but I use them anyway. You can see my current gear list in my system profile, it's very modest right now but I have long listening hours or ownership history with Maggie 1.6, 3.6, Acoustat 2+2s, Infinity IRS, RS 2.5, Renaissance 80, Quantum Line Source, Servostatic, Monitor 2As, Martin Logan and a few others.

Thanx, Russ

Would anyone care to do a blind test using "coat" hangers and your "best" speaker wires?

One of the nice things about using coat hangers is they tend to be spaced farther apart. This lowers the capacitance which tends to skew the high frequency response.

Here's an interesting site related to this good thread http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm Be warned: the developer of the site is, in addition to being an audiophile, an electrical engineer. He and Roger Russell, of http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm would probably find much in common. For several years I subscribed to Stereophile and back in the day to Audio; I can hardly think of two magazines with more divergent philosophies. I tend more to the Audio philosophy: show me the money, let's do a double blind test, etc. Some of the descriptions the sound qualities of various (expensive) cables sound more akin to a wine tasting than music reproduction.

I can't afford to play around with varying cables, so I use heavy gauge wire and save the extra coin for recordings or for my other money sink of a hobby, photography. Thank goodness my very tolerant wife sews most of her own clothes so we have money for the "important" things!

• 1 month later...