OK - if everyone agrees not to tell Arco......

maxg

I might be in the market for a cheap to reasonable turntable and phono stage (to link to the ZTPRE).

I am looking for suggestions on makes models etc. If possible I would like the unit to be of reasonable proportions (as in not too much bigger than the lp itself in terms of width and length - otherwise it can be as high as you like).

Try to remember in your suggrestions that what I know about turntables can be written on the back of a postage stamp in crayon so lets keep it simple and make sure that everything I need is included (TT, phono stage (do I really need this?), arm, cartridge, balances, weights, bla bla bla bla bla whatever)

If there is a good all in one - vinyl for dummies type solution that will probably be it.

A friend has suggested the Technics Mk2 - but its built like a brick out house and I want something smaller. I have also seen a Lynn Basic something or other on ebay in the UK but the guy said something about "draining the sump" for shipment and that put me off a bit.

Anyway I await your suggestions with eager anticipation.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (DECWARE ZTPRE with separate beefed up PSU)

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones (on loan to a friend)

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Hey, Arco, now that your friend has seen the light... he's delving into the dark side once more. I am afraid your MaxG may morph into a LaxG... and then what... 8 track on Grecian steroids?

On second thought, delete this transmission from your audio Puritanical mind, Aristidis, any protégé that envisions speakers cabs of Grecian marble needs to have his curiosity unleashed for a walk in the public park... even Soundog would agree to that!

MaxG, you never cease to amaze... keep us posted. -HornEd

mmf2.jpg

They are plenty of options here but none that I would suggest with a built in phono preamp. For the cheapest NEW turnkey device, there is the MUSIC HALL MMF-2.1 which is a very simple belt drive table with a factory installed tonearm and a Goldring Elan cartridge. Yes, there is much better out there but this table will be very good and will get you into the playing field without hassle. There are used options that might be perhaps a bit better but this is $279 NEW and hard to beat. It is actually made over there so you might be able to find it pretty cheap.

regap3.jpg

Other options over there include the used Rega Planar 2 or 3. These offer excellent tonearms. This can only be done USED as the new price is not worth it. You will be taking the chance on the cartridge so buy from someone you get a good feeling about.

As for the phono preamp, you DO need this but it can be a very cheap affair that you just plug into one of your Decware inputs. Good used offerings come from Creek, Music Hall, on to the little Parasound PPH-100, and even NAD. You can find little unit in the $100 range that sound pretty good for all practical purposes.

I think it is fun to go the vinyl route; then again, I have more records than sense! I am listening to my Linn as I type.

kh

ps- The above two options both sound better than the Technics 1200 MkII series which used direct drive, a nono sonics wise as the motor is connected to the spindle which travels into platter, vinyl, and stylus, on to speakers... Belt drive has better sound.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-13-2002 at 02:35 PM

Mobile you said...

ps- The above two options both sound better than the Technics 1200 MkII series which used direct drive, a nono sonics wise as the motor is connected to the spindle which travels into platter, vinyl, and stylus, on to speakers... Belt drive has better sound.

KH

==================================================

Possibly.....But can you "scratch" turn on a dime... backspace, as well as do other DJ tricks.... using the turntables you suggested? I doubt it.. hahahahahahahahahaha Just Kidding!!!!!!

Wrong application I am sure. Apples to Oranges.

I probably have more time on the Technics 1200 mk series of turntables then on my own Linn LP-12 I've had for almost 20 years! I did so many radio shows at my college station, sometimes three to four a week at three hours a pop, not to mention training all the DJs like a freak. Now multiply this by 7.5 years I kept that position (Engineer/DJ/Music Reviewer etc), long after I graduated; The Technics 1200 table is probably one of the best tables I have ever used if just talking ease of use and rock solid stability. The beast could literally start on a dime and be up to full speed in less than a quarter turn. I spun so much vinyl, I got blisters and felt like I knew every damn album up there. Indeed, I miss those days and the great exposure to new stuff coming out.

The only way those tables could perform like that was that direct drive bear of a motor. As I said before, I had one of these beasts in my office to record and review albums. It didnt sound half bad, to be honest.

kh