Set to Sub, Main, or Both on Receiver?

Grimer

I have a yamaha rx-v995. and Klipsch 1.1 speakers. and a ksw-12 sub. should i set it on sub, main or both. right now i have it on sub. what do these settings mean. what's the difference between all of them. and which on should i use.

thanks.

grimer

Grimer - The setting in question determines where the bass management should send bass from the .1 channel and any channels configured as "small."

In your case, set all speakers to small and send the bass to sub only. "Large" settings should probably only be used for speakers that have flat response down into the 30's and 40's hz range. Many would advocate using small regardless of the speaker capabilities to relieve them of the burden of handling low bass. I have my Chorus (45hz) set to small, and they have a 15" woofer!

Doug

------------------

My System

don't know if this is universal to yamaha, but if it is to this model, then what doug says is correct. iow, for yamaha when you set "both" it sends the .1 aka LFE channel info to both the sub & mains.

this is usually not the case. almost all other a/v receivers, as long as you set sub:yes, sends all LFE ONLY to the sub.

this is why w/ most where you choose sub:yes & use the sub preout to the sub, you want to turn the low pass crossover control on the sub itself all the way up. otherwise you'll cut some LFE not to mention the possible problem of double filtering on the low bass.

the above also applies for the yammy when you set it to

sub only. then it's acting like most other a/v receivers.

i only mention the sub crossover thing because i continue to see folks w/ like denon or marantz dialing down the crossover on their sub. just don't want anyone to miss out on LFE w/o knowing. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks for the info, guys.

So let me get this straight. Put it on sub. that's cool, that's where I have it now.

And put the low pass all the way up? I have it on about 100 I think now. So go further, like 120 I think is the top or something like that. I have to look?

let me know

thanks again

grimer