CF-3 Tweeter...... strange problem

I just puchased some CF-3's. They sound fantastic except for one thing that I noticed after I got them in my house.

I've now noticed that one speaker has a silver mesh screen in the tweeter, the other doesn't. The one with the screen seems to sound a tad bit brighter than the other. Frown.gif

Can you tell me what might be happening? Is the tweeter without the mesh screen damaged? Could the screen have fallen out? If I do need to buy a new replacement tweeter how much are they, and can you still get them?

Thank you for any help.

V

This message has been edited by Voodoo chile on 03-14-2002 at 03:45 PM

The mesh screen in the horn is usually referred to (somewhat affectionately) as the "bug screen." It's there to keep little foreign bits of stuff from getting into the driver. The compression driver operates with very tight tolerences, and if you get grundge in there it can screw things up.

I used to have a pair of CF-4. Out of curiousity, I took the horns out of the cabinet, found that you could easily unscrew the horn itself from the driver, and then remove the screens, which are held in place by little rubber gaskets. Since I could do that, of course, I did ( Smile.gif ), just to see if it made any difference in the sound. Didn't seem to.

Sounds to me like the person who owned the speakers before you was curious to see if the screen affected the sound, and took the screen out of one speaker to compare them.

I'd put the speakers right next to each other, play something with the amp set to mono, and move the balance control back and forth from all the way left to all the way right. If you don't hear any difference, leave 'em alone. If you DO hear a difference, now you can either decide it's not THAT much of a difference, or take the other horn apart and pull the screen out. Assuming you like the one WITHOUT the screen better. If you like the sound better in the one with the screeen in it, I'd check with Trey and see if you can put the screeen back into the other horn.

Might want to do that, anyway... long term, reliability of the driver with the screen would seem to be superior to without the screen...

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray,

Thank you. I do hear a difference even when the are apart, and I've listened to quit a few different sources of music. I'm going to pull the screen out of the one and see if they match up then.

You mention Trey, I take it that is someone in tech support at Klipsch?

Tahnks again for your help!!

Voodoo

Ok, I've pulled the screen out and it sounds more like the other.

New thing though, I was listening to some stuff a little louder the other day and the speakers sound out of phase. They're both the same distance from the wall. I know it's not the recording because I went in my other room and listened to the same material. Could pulling that screen off affect something else?

Thanks again,

V

Voodoochile...can you be a little more specific? Are they toed in at the same angle, does this happen on all recordings, exactly what are you hearing? Remember all final testing with the speaker/crossover/etc. are done with screens in place, not saying the screens have anything to do with what your hearing. Keep us informed...later