Sony 227ESD or PhilipsMag 470-471

gyrene

Man I could really use some help here.I'm looking at these two cd players because they both use the TDA1541 DAC.I can put my hands on either of the PhilMags but the Sony is not to be found.So given that the TDA1541 is what makes the coveted sound what do you guys think? Should I hold out for the Sony or get the PM470,PM471 @ less than $100? This will be fed into either one of my resurrection projects which are either a Kenwood KA-8100 w/60w per ch or a Marantz 1090 w/45 w per ch..Speakers available would be KG4's,Heresy's or KLH 23's( thank you clermontcop).The music is mostly jazz,some blue grass,not too much rock,some smokey vocals like Johnny Hartman et al.Volume does not really go past 9 o'clock for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Sony 227esd and it's a great player. Sounds very nice and the build quality and parts are top class.

I also have a Revox B226 which sounds a little smoother. Both are top class players.

I really like the sound of the tda1541.

Check out this site http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFERENCES/references.html . This crazy guy is adding tubes at the output of these players. I plan to follow his instructions and mod my 227 esd soon.