How do I make my newly replaced 4.1s last?

sane1

I just got my replaced 4.1s because my original ones blew and started making that scratchy sound everyone is talking about. Now with these new ones I don't want anything to go wrong, so I made some questions up that I would like to have answered with professional/experienced advice.

What exactly is the wearing-in period for these speakers?

How long do I have to do the wear-in procedure on them?

Would it be bad to just start blasting my 4.1s as soon as possible? (i hope not)

Should I completely turn off the speaker system when not in use, so it won't get so hot for extended periods of time?

What are some other steps I should follow so my 4.1s could just last me longer?

1. put them on a surge protecter

2. try not to mess with the control pod a lot, set it and forget it

3. do not use s surge protecter as a power switch for the system, either leave it on, or push the standbye mode button

4. for your first say 8 hours of play, don't blast them, just let them break in playing music at a low to moderate volume

5. don't blast them on high for extended periods, this stresses the amp.

6. try to protect the control pod cord that goes into the subwoofer, some ppl seem to break these (normally it is their girlfriend...)

7. don't do any thing questionable, opening the speakers/sub/controlpod

8. don't move them around a lot (like to friends houses and stuff, just brings all new possibilities...) and donlt put them through the elements, long periods of direct sun light, extreme cold or hot tempatures, and just for basic safety, keep the grills on them, the one time you take it off it will probably fall off the shelf onto a pencil holder and get a hole through the woofer

9. use commen sense Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

basically, use a surge protector as a power switch for the promedia's is not a great idea.

many ppl used to turn off their Windows 95 and earlier machines with a surge protecter, this trend continued even with the computer, scanner, digital camera, moniter and whatnot would turn off at the same time through Win98 and up. so ppl would think, i will turn off my promedia's using the surge protecter to save power (very very very little power BTW)... but this caused some amp to not ever turn back on.

either just leave them on, like i did for 13 months, never had a problem, or hit teh standbye button.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

the sub whoul donly get 'hot' when it is playing through the speakers, and playing at a louder than talking voice level for an extended period of time, so not it should not be hot when in standbye mode, with the red LED lit.

also, hot to touch... think of this, getting into 80*F water is quite cold, but 80*F air will make you wise you were in 80*F water. the water is more dense and so temperatures are exagerrated. same for for hot temp's, a more dense object will show a normal temp as hot, even though it is not that warm. a way to test this, is when the sub feels like it is 200*F (Smile.gif) get a thermometer and see what it is really at, i bet you will be suprised at how low the temp actually is... like touching your metal heater vent in your house, it feels sooo much hotter than the air heating it, which would defy the laws of physics, unless you had some SERIOUS friction from the air molecules on the metal LoL (not gonna happen Smile.gif)

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

I have my PM 4.1 plugged to a surge suppressor. Along with this is a small fan that is turned on whenever I use my PM 4.1.

This way, the sub doesn't have a chance to become warm.

When I'm done listening, I switch it to stand-by mode, and after about a minute, I turn off the power switch (there is a switch in our power outlets here in Australia) where the surge suppressor is connected.

I noticed that the sub gets warm even in stand-by mode, but this does not happen when I "unplug" it.

Like Justin mentioned, I don't play too much with its control pod.

- I set it my subwoofer at 12 o'clock

- the surrounds are in full volume

- the main volume is at 10 o'clock ( I use my mixer or receiver to control the volume, this level is good enough for me and my neighbours )

My faulty sub was replaced last Novemeber and until now I no issues with it. I'm using it to view DVDs & play my MP3 & CDs for at least an hour and a half everyday. Of course during the weekends, I play them a bit longer and louder.

I hope this helps.