Questions on XF-48

space_cowboy

I'm curious about these and had some questions if anyone might be able to comment:

1. Can the speaker outputs from a TV be used as input to the 48's? Does the TV's output signal have to be anything special for the 48?

2. I've never used pre outputs on my AVR so don't really understand how it works. If I connected to the speakers using the R and L pre-outs, does the receiver still have control as if I connected the speakers as conventional main R and L? I'm probably not asking this right, so do the R and L pre-outs still work in tandem with the center and surrounds connected to their respective binding posts?

3. Can anyone comment on reliability? The amp sections have a 2 year warranty. My concern would be that if the amp dies the speaker dies. I'd probably only use them for casual weekends anyway, so not daily use.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

I do not personally have any experience with the XF-48's but I do understand that if an amp does take a dump, you can use them in passive mode. Funny thing is I read this thread just last night. Maybe you will find answers to all of your questions.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/95343.aspx

Bill

Thanks Bill, Yes, I've read most of the threads about this today. What I don't understand really isn't related to the speaker, it's how pre-outs work in general. Colter posted this in the thread you mentioned:

If you hook them up to a surround sound receiver, you can
use the PRE-OUTs from the receiver for the main channels, utilize the XF48's
internal bi-amps, and preserve your receiver's wattage and power supply for
your center and surround speakers.

So does this mean once the speakers are connected to the R and L pre-outs, it's pretty much seamless from a control standpoint? Maybe it depends on the receiver, I have no idea. I'd like think once the speakers are connected through the pre-outs, it would be just as if they were connected through the receivers speaker binding posts.

Thanks

Look at it this way. Say you had a receiver with preouts and wanted an outboard amp. You would connect your receiver's preouts with RCA cable to the amps imputs and connect speaker wire from amp to speakers. I think the powered speakers would work the same way.

Bill

• 1 month later...

1. Yeah the tv outputs could power the xf-48's with RCA's. Nothing special needed.

2. Pre-outs just let you use a pure signal to free up power with the added expense of an externalamp. The xf48 has the 100watt internal which is plenty and the volume is adjusted and recognized exactly like a standard speaker line output. Just don't hook up both the RCA and speaker line because you will fry one if not both pieces of equipment.

3 they seem pretty reliable to me. I've been listening to the whole icon x 5.1 setup at refrence listening levels while gaming and listening to movies consistantly as my pri

ary setup and not as a weekend item. (it's a Ferrari with the reliability of a Toyota.... Think how many toyotas are in the world... 40 with problems is nothing to the 40 million on the streets)

I've had them for a coue years and they still rock my socks of and continuously wow me left and right front to back!

Yes at first I noticed the auto off wasn't working on on of my speakers and at first I was going to send it away but then decided to take the plunge pull it apart and take a look for myself. Fixed a few things but even then I took it a step further and plugged the speaker power cords into a belkin switched power extension. Basically my amplifier turns off and cuts the power to the speakers automatically and back on when I turn the amp back on. I also have my xbox my ps3 and a couple other things. It's efficient and keeps the thing from sucking elect while I'm not using it.

Btw big tip... For everyone....!

Use ferrite cores on both the speaker wire and power cords!