Yamaha M-80 question...???

Matthews

Matt,

The main thing to consider in adding a cd player is to make sure it has digital outputs. That way if you aren't satisfied with the sound you can always add an external DAC. In my second system i currently have a Yamaha CDM 900 player (110 disc changer) routed through a fairly inexpensive external chinese manufactured DAC and the sound very nearly approaches what i get from a Level 1 modded Music Hall CD25 at about 1/3 the price for both the cd player and DAC combined. The DAC allows you to swap out the opamps in it so you can really tailor your sound to your expectations.

Congrats on the M80. I have had mine now for a little short of 20 years and am still loving it every time it is on.

Mike

Knoxville, TN

• 3 weeks later...

The heat is normal. The amp is auto class-A up to like 10 watts. After that class A turns off. Class A is ridiculously inefficient but has some of the highest quality. My M-45 amplifier does the same thing. Keep the thing cleaned out and you should be fine. It will put out quite a bit of heat in that mode even if it is just idling.