Yamamoto A-08 45 with Klipschorns. Anyone usine this combo?

erictye

Its a fine amp. You might do a little better but could do far worse and for the $$, its all most folks could ask for in a 45 SET amp. The question you want to ask yourself is will 2 watts be enough power. Having listened to more amps in my system than I'd like to count, SET triodes in general, offer an intimacy and articulation that borders on the sublime and the 45 triode-based amps excel in this area while still being able to drive the Khorn's woofers fairly well. There are no doubt other triodes that do the job as well or better but the 45 is IMO the finest example of triodes that are in current production and it still isn't that expensive to obtain a nice sampling of tubes.

The downside is that while the 45 tube will drive the woofers, it will not produce the gut-thumping bass needed on some styles of music - especially at higher volumes and above 90-95dB the overall sound will begin to compress and distortions will become audible (based on a 500 sq. ft room, YMMV). That's a pretty chunky trade off if you like to listen to your rock music at high volume but no matter what amp I've tried, I am quite smitten by the 45 SET and keep coming back to it. Of course, there's only one way to find out if the A-08 is the right amp for you.... Have fun