Sub Performance

Big Ben

How does sub performance change with respect to the surface a sub is firing on or situated on.

An example of this is that the spare KSW12 I am using as a rear sub behind my couch is downward firing onto carpet. If one has this sub or any other downward firing sub in a hardwood floor application how would this change the performance of the sub.

If indeed it does change it for the better, why not put a (eg) marbel slap under the sub to mimic a hardwood floor application.

What do you think chaps.

Ben

Ben, unless your carpet is as thick as an African rainforest, changing the surface it fires onto will not do much if anything at all. Bass frequencies are non directional. So in theory, it really doesn't matter which direction your sub fires. I havea ksw-15 and I have it on carpet as well. Placement of the sub and room acoustics affect the quantity and quality of bass much more than the floor surface.

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

U.P. speaks the truth. Low bass waves are very long, longer than most rooms so the nap of a carpet is of little consequence. It is the shorter, higher pitched waves that get trapped in carpets... or nearly anything else. A 34' long wave is usually going to be bouncing around the room... not lost in your carpet. -HornEd

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS, FIVE+ MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

SETTING THE STAGE FOR THE "THEATER OF THE MIND"...

KLF-30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

KLF-30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners. Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808 Upscale Monster Cables and Interconnects

CHANNELING THE MUSIC EXPERIENCE FROM 2 TO 6!

'97 Klipschorn - Mains, '99 Klipsch Belle - Center '83 Cornwall - Surrounds, '93 Academy - Rear Effects

Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Final Amps, etc. to be determined after long discussions with Klipsch Forum Members.

THE MOVEABLE (EAR) FEAST...

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome... an acoustics challenge in 8' x 30'... vandalized... but soon to be "On the Road Again!"

s>

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-16-2002 at 09:16 PM

You may perceive more bass without carpet, but that's because you will get more vibrations with, say, a hardwood floor. All I had to do was walk upstairs with my system playing to understand this, as I have hardwood floors up there that simply tremble, and the carpeting in the basement doesn't provide any tactile input.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Kenwood amp for sub and shakers

Denon AVR 681/1601

HornEd: Whats up with your Klipsch Klass A motorhome? What sort of Klipsch stuff do you have inside?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!