Need advice on SR 5004.....

Dr. Jim Mixon

I think a while back some forum member with a lot of savy was discussing how to connect speakers for a 5.1 system to a 7.1 receiver like the Marantz 5004 I've got ordered. I can't find that thread anymore. Also, what's an ignorant hillbilly got in store in connecting and configuring this receiver? Sometimes these owner manuals may as well be in Greek.

All you have to do is connect your surround speakers to the outputs labeled "Side surrounds" or "Surround A" on the back of the receiver. After you run the receiver's automatic setup via its microphone then it will know that you don't have rear surrounds hooked up. Or, you can go in the receiver's speaker menu and enable/disable them.

When it came to setting up all the inputs/outputs on it I have to admit, configuring my Marantz was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do with a receiver and I have a LOT of experience setting up receivers.