New RW-10d not seen by Pioneer MCAAC, overlooked something?

0ctane

Background: I have a 7.0 set of Klipsch speakers attached to my new Pioneer 1019AH-K receiver. All of them are seen and are calibrated fine with Pioneer's MCAAC speaker calibration. I got a RW-10d and attached it last night through the receiver's "subwoofer pre-out" to the left line-in of the sub. The "attachment" was some in-wall wiring to the corner of the room via RG6 coax with an RCA termination at wall plate - then a Monster RCA cable to the sub. After turning on the power, I increased the volume on the sub to max, and I was able to hear louder thumps with each notch up in volume. MCAAC did not recognize that the sub was plugged in (ie, no sound during test). So, I switched to the right line-in. No dice. I attached the sub to the receiver directly (another regular Monster RCA cable). Still nothing.

From what I have read online, the whole subwoofer specific cable thing is a bunch of bunk. And the RW-10d literature says that you can connect to the right and/or left line-in. Do I *need* to get a y-splitter and connect to both line-in? Am I missing something? My next step is to grab an older Yamaha receiver to see if that will work with the sub.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't need a Y splitter. I think I would try a regular sub cable (ANY RCA cable will do) before I did anything else. Just hook it to the back of your receiver and run it across the floor to your sub. That will tell you if you have an issue with your in-wall wiring. You don't need to leave the cable there permanently, just for testing.

Sorry, I missed that.

I'm assuming you have your speakers set to small and subwoofer to "yes" or "on" in your receivers bass management menu?

If you have a media player (CD Blueray etc) with a subwoofer output, you can try the sub from there without going through the hassle of swapping receivers.

I was using the automatic (automagic) calibration. This set all my speakers as Large after full calibration. The problem is that the sub is not even being detected. The MCAAC automatic calibration sends test tones to each speaker to see if it is attached. All my non-LFE say YES, but my sub (SW) says NO. During the sub check, I put my head by the RW-10d, and I heard nothing. I *can* go into advanced settings and manually turn it to YES. Need to throw some content at it to see if this does any good.

No extra sub outputs on media players. Friday I terminate my speaker wires with banana plugs, so swapping receivers will be easier, but my Yamaha does not have an auto-calibration. WIll need to stick my head to the sub. =)

does this sterio have sub remix setting in adv menu of sub area if thats not on thats why u dont hear nothing

buddie kenwood he has rw10d also in his sterio setting turn on subwofer remix

then we got sound look forthat setting or try other reciver still nothing probly mosfetts in it

go bad sumtimes sitting or resiter at r40 blu eone gets burned up

The 59TXi consistently configured my front speakers as "large," but I prefer to set a receiver or processor to treat all the main speakers as "small," so I reset them manually. (Alternatively, I could have specified the speaker system as "THX [all small]" in the preferences screen.) The distance measurements were accurate, except for the subwoofer, which was about one foot closer to the mic than indicated. Speaking of the sub, the onscreen instruction regarding it is very unclear: "If you have a subwoofer, turn power on and turn volume up." Turn volume up? To what level? Maximum? I decided to set the sub's volume control at its midpoint, which seemed to work fine, but a bit more specificity would be great.

The 59TXi offers a selection of five crossover points: 50, 80, 100, 150, and 200Hz. I generally prefer the THX standard of 80Hz, so I set the crossover to that value. (If you specify a THX speaker system, the crossover is fixed at 80Hz.) And with 192kHz/24-bit A/D conversion, the 59TXi can apply bass management to the multichannel analog input as well as all digital inputs (including i.Link), allowing low frequencies from DVD-Audio and SACD to be routed to the sub as needed no matter which connection you use. Very nice!

The first time I ran the Auto Setup routine, the channel levels were a bit strange: left front was –0.5dB, center was +0.5dB, and right front was 0.0dB. Also, right surround was –1.0dB and left surround was –2.5dB. I ran the routine again after the receiver was measured on our test bench (see "Measurements"), and the channel levels were much more reasonable: left and right front were both 0.0dB, while the right surround was –1.0dB and left surround was –2.0dB, with the left-surround speaker slightly closer to the mic than the right-surround.

405pioneer.4.jpgAccording to the manual, the subwoofer tones are output at a relatively low volume, and you may want to increase the level after the setup routine is finished. During my setup process, the sub level was set to –10.0dB, which was indeed a bit wimpy. Mind you, I don't like as much bass as some, but I did end up increasing the level to –7.0dB, which fattened up the low end nicely without becoming overbearing.

sum info i read about it yours also has r port com for pc update its firmware

I am not familiar with your Pioneer but are you sure you plugged the sub into the Preout connector and not the Multi CH IN connector. Double check your connections.

I just looked at a picture and you should be able to just use a single RCA sub cable from the sub to the PreOut of the receiver.

Some good ideas here.

I directly hooked the RW-10d into my Yamaha with PS3 for source (Bluray Wrath of Khan). Plenty of signal. Next I tested my in-wall wiring, and that worked too. So, it is not an issue with the sub or my wiring, thank goodness.

So, it looks like I will need to play with the MCAAC settings a bit more. I will update this thread probably tonight.

Model is 1019AH-K (first post). Yeah, I looked in the troubleshooting area already, but their suggestions did not help.

Checked LFE attenuation setting, but that is fine. Switch main speaker type to SMALL to no effect.

I found someone on the AVSforums with the same issue a few months ago, so I have tried contacting them.

Front Panel Display, OSD, and LFE Features: The fluorescent front panel display and Onscreen menu system make setup and operation of the receiver easy and fast. Also featured is an adjustable crossover on the Subwoofer LFE (Low Frequency Effects) pre-out channel.

they talk about cross over built in to sterio for sub u dont have that way up by acdent do u

Cons: Difficult to set up due to all the features. The manual is a reference book, not a step-by-step. No switched outlet on the back so make sure your sub has auto-sensing.
they talk about auto sensing on sub rw10d has that on back erther on or off wondering not triggering it sumhow

THATS IT BOSS I KNEW IT THE CORSS OVER IN MENSU ON SUB SET AT 150 SUMTHING DUMB LOWER IT

The other setting it took me a while to find was the cross-over setting for the subwoofer. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any bass until I set the cross over to 150 hz (set speakers to small).

Double check all settings across your system. The settings in my BD player were wrong so I wasn't getting the full HD audio passed through to the 1019. I had my BD audio set on 'mix' rather than 'direct' so I was only getting PCM audio through the speakers. This is just one example of what can go awry if the ins and outs, both audio and video, aren't configured correctly.