KSW-15 Sub and Amp DEAD- Any advice?

Dssguy1

Hi everyone, I am new to the community and was in need of some help. I bought a used KSW-15 from a guy and it has two problems.

1) The subwoofer cone is torn and obviously needs to be replaced. I sent it out to Paul at woofer(dot)com and he is going to give me an estimate to recone it. I also found a chap on Ebay that is selling a K-1060-K 15" woofer and claims it will work just fine. My concern is that the 1060 comes from a sealed enclosure on the KSP-400 and the 1072 is obviously ported in the KSW-15. Is there any chance that the 1060 will work as a substitute?

2) The amp was fried on the sub. I pulled it out and found 4-5 burned out resistors and 2 burned out transistors. Unfortunately they are charred beyond identification. I am pretty handy with a soldering iron but I really have no idea what their original values are. Klipsch says they will replace the amp with a refurb for $120 but I am guessing I have about $5 in parts to repair it. I attached the images in a zip file to this post.

Does anyone have any time to help me identify the burned out components on my amp? I am attaching picutres incase somebody gets really bored and wants to help!

Thanks for any help you are able to provide!!

Scott

KSW-15 AMP Pics.zip

KSW-15 AMP Pics.zip

KSW-15 AMP Pics.zip

I can't help you in IDing those burned parts, since I've just sold my KSW-12 today, but hopefully someone can pop the amp on theirs and take a look.

I had a few burned transistors on mine and it cost me about $10 in parts and materials to get it fixed, so give it a try if someone can ID the parts.

Yeah, my hope is that somebody (with a KSW-15) is bored enough to crack open their AMP and maybe snap some pictures of the original resistor colors. Then I could try and track them down. If they are really tech savy, they might even know the values (otherwise I am going to have to learn what the color bands mean).

I really don't want to pour ~$150 (I thought it was $60 to swap an amp, but they said $120 +s/h) into a refurbished amp from Klipsch when I know it is about $10 worth of parts.

Thanks for any help you guys are able to give me!

Scott

Yeah, I referenced the fact that I had seen a bunch of people paying $60 to swap for a refurb but he said the ksw-15 was $120. He wasn't really very helpful at all so I thought I would try and go the diy route.

Can't put more into this thing than it is worth. Especially since when I bought it, the guy failed to mention it had a fried amp!!

I recently purchased a quintet speaker system with a sub-10 ...The quintets are great but the sub-10 was DOA. I bought the unit from a guy off craiglist..I agreed to meet him half way between his and my house to make it easier on both of us ( I normally want to test first)

I called him back and told him about the dead sub.. He came over the next day and gave me $100 back (Ive already sent out the bad amp to Klipsch for the $60 refurb) . If you havent yet, Contact the previous owner and tell him what it will cost to replace it. I was lucky but u never know...

I will try to call them again on Monday. Last time it took over 45 minutes to get through and the guy basically told me it wasn't worth fixing the sub and that I should just buy a new one.

I will write down the socket locations and see if they will help me out.

Still wondering if anybody else has a ksw-15 they want to crack open and snap a couple pics.....

Oh yeah, the guy I bought from won't even pick up the phone when I call him. I also wrote him 2 emails and no reply. He probably knew it was fried and doesn't want to man-up and give me a break on the price.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there im new to the klipsch scene and i was wondering if you got the ksw-15 fixed yet.If not i have what u need and i dont care to take the amp out and take some pics 4 u.Just email me and give me your email and i will send them to u.I would send thru the post but cant figure out how like i said im new to all this Just let me know heres my email tonykeiffer@yahoo.com PS the KSW-15 is the best sub i have ever heard under 1000 bucks worth fixing

twkloud! Where were you 3 weeks ago? I tried to follow all the other suggestions but Klipsch would not send me any information on the component values and generally didn't seem interested in helping me figure them out. I ended up trading mine in for a refurbished amp at $120. I have my subwoofer out at woofer.com (it has been a long time), and hoping to get it back soon so I can test this beast out!!

Glad to hear you like yours. Do you think I would benefit from another KSW-15? I have space for it but I wasn't sure if it would be too much for my HT room. The room is ~35x20

I'm glad I ran across this thread today, my KSW-15 (Bought new 12 years ago) just died this morning. 3 thumps while in sleep mode and that was all she wrote, no more red/green light.

I haven't done any checking of the amp yet, but thanks for the pictures of what happened to yours. That will give me some direction in where to look for problems, but I'll likely just call Klipsch and go for the refurb amp. There really is no current sub on the market under $1000 that comes close to the KSW-15.

I'm glad I ran across this thread today, my KSW-15 (Bought new 12 years ago) just died this morning. 3 thumps while in sleep mode and that was all she wrote, no more red/green light.

I haven't done any checking of the amp yet, but thanks for the pictures of what happened to yours. That will give me some direction in where to look for problems, but I'll likely just call Klipsch and go for the refurb amp. There really is no current sub on the market under $1000 that comes close to the KSW-15.

How strange, I just went out to the living room to crack it open...and it's working again. What the...maybe static discharge and it shut down due to perceived overload? Or perhaps it's just on its last legs, I guess I'll find out soon enough.