If you have an H/K AVR 430, please post in this thread

fdiddy

I'm contemplating purchasing a used H/K 430. I'm looking for an AVR with 5.1 in, preouts and 2 way serial control. H/Ks have that warm music sound aura that everybody raves about which makes it so hard for me to resist. I've researched a bit but have not found much info (which I believe is good) but have found a few people with issues with the unit (especially older ones) shutting off every few seconds. I'm also aware of the nightmare that was the 254/354. I've heard that this community has a lot of H/K users so I basically want people to put my fears to rest or tell me to forget about it and keep looking.

Is this receiver old enough to be considered a precursor to the buggy, garbage quality control that lots of people think H/K is today?

I know that some of you have this exact AVR and hopefully you guys can chime in about your likes/dislikes, horror stories/love stories.

Thanks a lot.

Yea the AVR 430 doesn't have HDMI either. I'm not too concerned about it, as long as I get the 5.1 analog for my BDP-83. I'm super excited about owning an H/K product, but I just want to make sure my money isn't wasted on a receiver that will be short-lived.

• Moderators

I'm not too concerned about it, as long as I get the 5.1 analog for my BDP-83.

True, if your receiver has the analog inputs, it you will be able to take advantage of the HD audio codecs.

I'm super excited about owning an H/K product, but I just want to make sure my money isn't wasted on a receiver that will be short-lived.

Unfortunately, they are all short lived. [;)] Technology changes everyday and the latest and greatest is yesterday's format in a short time. I'm not sure what the 430's usually sell for since there have been none on Ebay that have sold recently and this one that is currently being sold. If you can get it for a few hundred dollars, and it lasts you for several years, you've gotten your money out of it. I paid $100 for my AVR55 and sold it a year later for $100. I got my moneys worth out of it for sure. Look for used, find one cheap and enjoy it.

I've found one for $250. The most important aspect to me isn't about the technology going old. I'm already going pre HDMI but as long as my source components are up to the task it won't matter. I just want a reliable piece of electronics that lasts me many years.

Edit: I've now found two Denon 3805s and a 5803a at $500. Would either of these be a more permanent solution than the H/K?