Best speaker for room size

John L

Hi Everybody,

I'm new at this, so I apologize in advance. I've heard various models of Klipsch over the years, and have always been impressed with their sound. I just moved into a small apartment with a small listening area. The speakers will be about 8 feet away from my listening position, about 6 feet apart,and will have to be placed very near to the wall. Any suggestions? Is the Rf5 too big? They sounded great at the dealers. I currently have an Audiomat Arpege 30 watt tubed integrated to drive the speakers with.

Thanks in advance

Well...I'm using RF7's and my listening position is 11.5 away. The speakers are 2 feet off the back wall though.

RF5's are sweet. It depends on how close to the back wall you are talking about.

RB5 II's and a RSW10 might suit you better though. This would rival the performance of the towers without question.

In ways it might be better -- because you would have more control over room boundry effects. I also think the sub would be beneficial in that it would take your bass lower.

RB5 II's use the same horn/tweeter as the RF5's and are also real wood.

You would be sacrificing 3db of efficiency and the combo solution would cost you about $300 more.

Damn those tradeoffs.

Something to think about.

------------------

dean

ditto,

I like the RB5s (alot), although since they need stands and should be wawy from the walls, they will take up as much room as larger speakers will, plus you should buy the best speakers that you can afford (in the moderate price range), so that is always a tough decission, also the greater senstivity would make some difference with tubes, yet the bookshelf speakers are better suited to 6.1 or 5.1 sound later on, then again, the powered sub really makes most movies and much music better, plus, some SS oomph helps with many tube amps, so I guess the ultimate advice is to say "go listen to the two systems next to each and decide" ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the speakers will have to be close up to the walls. There's an equipment rack in between the speakers. (tv on top) As you can see space is at a premium. I sure liked the sound of the RF3 /RF5 at the dealers though. The RB5 sounded good too. But I don't have anywhere to put a subwoofer.

Then by all means buy the RF5's. Even with less than optimum placement, they will sound better than anything else at that price point. The Reference Series towers, for whatever reason -- aren't as prone to boominess in the bass as other towers.

Also -- you won't be in that same apartment forever.

Buy and enjoy! Good luck.

------------------

dean

John, 8 feet would be fine. That's the distance of my RF-3's. What I would be concerned with is the proximity to the rear wall. It may sound a little boomy since the speakers are rear ported. You'll just have to experiment with placement. I would try to keep them at least a foot or two from the rear wall.

too close -- you're never too closecwm35.gif

It will be near field listening in the extreme! You'll have to toe them in more than usual for sure.

Just pretend you're listening to headphonescwm3.gif

This message has been edited by deang on 03-17-2002 at 07:56 PM

Well thanks again everybody. I pretty much had my mind made up, and all of you have just confirmed what I was thinking. I'm going to pick them up this week. From all that I've been reading on the forums, my amp should be a good match. I listen to cd's only at this point, and my cd player is also tubed. So I'm thinking it will be a real enjoyable sound. Now if I ever move................

Both the RF-5's and RB-5's would be great,just dont forget a good accurate sub.

I use RF-5's as sourrounds with RB-5's(second pair on the sides,RF-5's used as back sourrounds).I tested these as mains and both have an identical signature,bass is very punchy and tight.No boomy sloppy bass.

Klipsch has winners in the R series speakers.

If you can stand larger RF-5's get them,a sub is not a must with them.With the RB-5's you will need a sub

TheEAR(s) Now theears