Cornwall 2's Vs RF 7's prior to upgrades

Pete H

Ok, I finally got to Pa. to pick up the C 2's and as soon as I got home, they were brought into the man cave and A/B'd against the RF 7's and IMO, this is what I think. If there was any pre conceived notion as to the difference I expected, I would have to say that I expected the C 2's to really steal the show.

Listened to:

Supertramp, Extreme, Floyd, Little Feat, Steve Vai, Jackyl,Vaughan Brothers and ran everything flat through the Sansui 8080 with no additional amplification.

IMO, the bass response from the 7's takes it hands down, for what I like to listen to and really hits you in the chest with much quicker response and was noticeably lower. As much as I was impressed with the 7's down low, for the first time since I've owned them, I noticed what seemed to be a huge gap in the mid range compared to the C 2's and I can't describe it any better than that. The C 2's just produced much better vocals and instruments that was as distinguishable as the difference in bass. Keep in mind that this was a quick, non scientific listening session that lasted about 1.5 hours and then the C 2's went to the shop and got taken apart after a quick listen in there. Has anyone run the response curves on the K67 or K1089 from the 7's?? I really wish I were set up to test these, but that's for another day, but I would like to see if my perception of the 7's lack of mids is what's really going on. When I look at the LF crossover points on the C 2's vs the 7's that raises some questions in my mind that I'm sure someone on here will comment, that has the raw measurements on the 7's.

I do understand that the C 2's are 20+ years old and a bit tired I'm sure, but I decided to pull them apart and take a look, and some of what I found was surprising. The ser. #'s on the C 2's are 8615875 and 6 and the birch cabinets are rough, but the K34E's appear to be pretty solid with no tears or any other visible problems. When I removed the drivers, I was shocked to find out that there's no damping material inside the cabinet, and no signs that there ever was???? Anyone have thoughts as to how this might have happened? BTW, these are sealed backs and there were no signs of anyone being inside prior to me removing the drivers.

post-34280-13819554964328_thumb.jpg

post-34280-1381957027052_thumb.jpg

As much as I was impressed with the 7's down low, for the first time since I've owned them, I noticed what seemed to be a huge gap in the mid range compared to the C 2's and I can't describe it any better than that. The C 2's just produced much better vocals and instruments that was as distinguishable as the difference in bass.

Thats the diference I hear as well with 3 way vs 2 way.

I'm still trying to figure out how these were produced without any damping inside the cabinet as I'm sure between that and the leaks that have to exist with the gaskets being worn out is affecting the performance of the C 2s. I really need to invest in some decent software and a mic to learn how to measure the response myself. Maybe I'll try and PM Al or someone else on here that would run tests on the K67 driver if I sent it to them.