Klipsch KP-301's

highlymodified

I just picked up a pair of these for $45... One of the woofers is not original unfortunately but at that price I think complaining would be bad form! I have owned the Forte's before (the first version) which I upgraded the crossovers and tweeter diaphragms on and loved quite a bit. The only problem I had with them was room placement. In my living room I have to place my speakers almost right up against the back wall(2.5" or so) and the rear firing passive radiator on the Forte's didn't like that. I have these KP-301's set up right now and they sound pretty *** good, even with the non stock woofer on one side. I think they might be the new contenders to the title in the house. I've also got a Pilot 602 (PP 6BQ5) on the way that I think will be a killer combo. I lurk here quite a bit but rarely post and I'm just wondering if any of you have had any experience with this particular model? This is the first version without handles and with deeper bass response, btw.

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of the KP-301 in brown lacquer Birch cabinets. I love them! I have them actively biamped with a Behringer crossover. A Rotel integrated is handling the switching and the amp section is driving the horn stack. A big QSC is driving the woofers. I am having a ball playing around with these! They have handled anything that I have thrown at them. They are so efficient that the amps are just loafing and levels that will run you out of the room. You may already know this, but the KP-301 is the industrial version of the Chorus. To me, the Chorus is the unsung heroe of the vintage Klipsch designs. If I read the specs right, the KP-301 speakers also have the Tractrix horns - I cannot say if they are an improvement, since I have not heard the prior horn design, but from everything that I have read, the tractrix design is superior.

I got my pair for $100, in excellent condition. I recommend that you spend the money and get the original woofer! The bottom end on these speakers are really something. I have read comments from some people that these are bass shy - they may not go quite as deep as some other systems that I have heard, but what is there is all quality!

Posted Image

Posted Image

" I have read comments from some people that these are bass shy - they
may not go quite as deep as some other systems that I have heard, but
what is there is all quality!"

You could try adding a duct to the port to tune the cabinet like the Chorus II, it's tuned quite a bit deeper.

" I have read comments from some people that these are bass shy - they may not go quite as deep as some other systems that I have heard, but what is there is all quality!"

You could try adding a duct to the port to tune the cabinet like the Chorus II, it's tuned quite a bit deeper.

I had thought about a piece of PVC, cut to length. Any suggestions on length? Should I consider tuning one or both ports/cabinet?

If you have access to an oscillator, I suggest measuring the resonant frequency of the driver (in free air), and tuning the box to a similar frequency (probably around 35hz~40hz).

Once you get in the ballpart with the tuning frequency, trimming one port for fine tuning is adequate.

I would suggest starting with a length of about 7" on both.

I don't have an oscillator, but I do have a laptop with a simple signal generator program. Would that work? I haven't done a free air resonance test before. This method is something that I can handle, substituting my laptop and an amplifier for the oscillator.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rv3vKxUwfQQC&pg=PA257&lpg=PA257&dq=free+air+resonance+test&source=bl&ots=Eo27kGKKH8&sig=697wBujzNrT44XUa_pCaYOBOSB0&hl=en&ei=ZILpS_23JIPGlQfD6ryMCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=free%20air%20resonance%20test&f=false

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just picked up a pair of these for $45... One of the woofers is not original

They made the 301 as a home speaker? it was already a Cornwall/Chorus in the first place... I've had a pair of the road-handle versions for ages. Do yours have the tweeter-protection device on them?

Had a woofer lock up (got bumped hard and made the magnet shift) and had to look at an answer, an angel let me have a pair of reconed Klipsch 15's, they were less power-rated, tuned a little deeper and a higher impedence which messed up the low end out of the xover so I just went and used a few things on shelves, rewired the innards to a SPEAKON 4-cond jack, biamped the pair with a Peavey xover and a Carvin 1204 200w x 4 power amp and they've been gorgeous.Modifying the cabinets to duct-tune them a little deeper as mentioned above might be a really nice trick to play with.

How are they doing?

I just picked up a pair of these for $45... One of the woofers is not original

They made the 301 as a home speaker? it was already a Cornwall/Chorus in the first place... I've had a pair of the road-handle versions for ages. Do yours have the tweeter-protection device on them?

Mine have a lacquer birch finish without handles. They are a home version of the KP301. Mine do have two fuses on each cabinet for driver protection, one for the tweeter and I believe one for the mid. I am not sure and will need to look at the schematic again. I have not played around with the port tuning yet. I was wondering if I can install the ports from the front, rather than removing the woofer and installing them from the interior. That will make it easier for me to play with different lengths. But, they may not tune the same outside of the cabinet. Any thoughts?