new Chorus II's with mods?

vnzbd

Today I picked up a new to me set of Chorus II's in black. They were originally posted on Ebay, and after contact with the seller, picked up semi locally for $400. Decent condition, 8/10 cosmetically with most of the wear and tear on the risers. During the inspection/demo I noticed the terminal cups had been modified for bi-wiring. The seller was of the opinion that it was factory but obviously not. A very nice gentlemen who is more of the Audiogon type who had picked these up used in Tampa. When I got them home I opened them up to inspect the work and found other modifications. Beyond the bi-wiring option, the internal wiring had been changed out to all drivers to what appears to be 16 gauge, all connections were solidered, the woofer bypass cap had been removed from the pc board and relocated directly on the woofer terminals and the capcitor in the mid circuit(6uf) had been replaced with a much larger cap rated at 5.6uf. I opened up my other pair of Chorus II's to examine the crossovers on them, stock and that was the only differences found. I will say the originals are wire with 18 gauge and it looks small when you compare it to the cabinet and drivers. I can feel another upgrade coming!

My question to the experts out there is the change in the cap will obviously change the crossover point for the mid. It has been a while since electronics school but my belief is if the cap value goes down, then the crossover frequency goes up, basically turning on the mid at a higer freq and letting the woofer carry more of the lower mid range. To me this would sound like the exact reverse of what you would want this speaker to do.

Opinions/education please.

Jason, I have read enough on this forum and else where that support your opinion. Over all I am more or less in agreement. But when you open up the cabinet and see those tiny wires, especially going to the woofer, and when you are holding the woofer in your hands and know that it accounts for approx 1/4 of the 86 pounds of total speaker weight....... It is hard not to drink the kool aid!