Large setting on HT

Jim Cornell

Hey guys

Another expierement going here!

I removed the lower part of my entertainment center, and set the cornwalls on their sides with the remaining part of the entertainment center on top of them to save some space!

So its just the TV and audio part of the entertainment center!

I set the cornwalls and all the others to large, this really brings out the sound on the lower cornwalls!

Also this way i dont have to keep setting it to large for music!

The sub still kicks in on really low bass so it still does something!

But yet i have a new problrm, the color on the TV, i have to set the TV in a certain spot to knock out the color distortion, i did that, but the volume graph and black area on a move are not straight, so this might also not work!

Im ganna try raising the TV, see if the magnetic feild lessens or not!

This did give us more room!

The cornwalls on their sides sound excellent, now i have horazontal, and vertical horns!

Ive never done this!

The bass will throw you at the wall!

Well off to work, ill get back later!

Regards Jim

Jim, most likely you are getting better reinforcement from the proximity of the floor in your current config. I understand that Cornwalls were available with risers for a horizontal installation.

On the subject of your magnetic field there are a couple of things you might try:

1. Be sure that the Cornwalls do not stick out beyond the front of the TV. I have found that if my HT KLF-30 Mains are just a fraction of an inch out, mild distortion creeps onto my 65" RPHD monitor.

2. It sounds like you have a board atop your Cornwalls to hold your TV and audio equipment. If so, the underside of that board could be lined with metal foil to create better shielding.

In a similar situation some years ago, I used lead foil from a pro "film pack" that was intended to keep film from being fogged by airport security equipment. With all the adverse lead issues, it may no longer be available.

Of course, using a ¼" of plate steel for a shelf would also likely work... if you could find a WAF approved color to paint it.

3. Of course, you could have your rig "Cannonized" by calling Trey at 1-800-KLIPSCH. He might have a trick or two in his "bucking magnet" bucket that might help.

4. Then again it might be all that animal magnetism that surrounds a great family. We all rejoice in the better days ahead for you, your wife and the three Klipsch lucky little ones. Whatever you do, don't demagnetize the family!

cwm34.gif -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-22-2002 at 12:54 PM

I can't say that I agree with what your doing, but we all have to make compromises.

If the woofer is near the TV, flip them around so the woofer is farther away. Tweeters have smaller magnets, but you know that.

You could go to a sheet metal shop and pick up some 1/16" thick Low Carbon steel or sheet metal and place that between the TV and speakers.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

ED THANK YOU

I didnt even post this in the right area, but were all family it doesnt matter!

I didnt like setting these on their sides, but i still have the other pair set up in the corners as normal!

Logically speaking i think id set these up in the mini van just to keep them around!

So i will obviously do whats nessecary to do this!

ED what i have here is the actual top part of the entertainment center! I did back up the tv to set it behind the magnetic field, so far things look nornmal again!

The base borad is 1 inch thick also!

I cut the entertainment center down, to have less weight, the baby just got into the cabinet part anyway!

Actually the top part unhooked from the bottom, and ill put the parts in the shed!

The rp-3 i got on trade is an unusual expirement!

The 10 inch is gone, i have the 12 inch JBL in it, with another 12 inch JBL as a passive radiator!

I destroyed the 2nd JBL taking off the coil and magnet, converting it to a passive radiator!

I got the subs for free!

Remarkably it kicks but, and sounds good as a sub!

The midrange and tweeter are doing nothing!

I THOUGHT ID KEEP THEM IN THEIR PLACE FOR SPARES, LIKE ID EVER NEED THEM!

I got a laptop, sorry sometimes i hit the upper K key!

My wife is doing fine, we have to pay 20,000.00 for her hospital, and for the baby, so i wont be buying things anymore, so ill just turn into BOA and be the next answering machine LOL!

Thats another reason why i worked this all in, with a house this small!

There is a towel between the cornwalls and the entertainment center, so the cabinets will stay in good shape, ill make new covers using Andys idea.

This doesnt look to bad the whole thing is 5 and a half foot tall!

The cornwalls set to large, is unreal, i like this most, i just hope it doesnt hurt the 20 year old drivers!

Then again i caint think of what can!

I dont abuse these!

Just maybe with placement!

No choice!

Well, im off, thank yoou for the advise.

Regards Jim