Wannabe tube newbie - Mcintosh SS integrated/pre with tube amp?

handrewmoore

First, let me say that I'm not informed enough to input or decide on anything other than what I've listened to in person and must rely on the kindness of fellow forum members to relay their experience. I have no experience with tube gear at all, I only read over and over the praises of tubes and Klipsch married together.

I recently acquired a Mcintosh MA-6200 and Forte II's, love it, no complaints. I snatched them up because it was such a good deal. Ideally, I'd like to move to Cornwalls but the Forte IIs sound is more than enough to appease me till I run across a pair of Corns for a steal. I also wanted to buy a tube pre and tube amp, but again, this deal came up and I couldn't pass it up.

I'm wanting to know how will this integrated Mac be as a preamp for a tube amp? Are there any technical issues I need to be aware of?

I love the sound of this amp and wonder how will the sound change with a different amp? how much of the mac sound is in the pre and how much is in the amp?

What tube amp would be a good match? Outside of Mac tube amps, I've read good things about VRDs and Bob Latino's beefed up ST-70. I'm also interested in SET amps but think I need a bit more of an education, at least it seems intimidating from the threads I've read. Can you run SET amps with a pre like this? Sorry for my newbie ignorance, I'm trying to soak it all in. I don't have much reference for a decision, so I'm depending on you guys
for guidence.

I can probably swing around $1200 on an amp, or I could sell the MA-6200 and and add it to my fund for a tube pre/amp. I like the phono stage sound on the 6200, at least it's a step up from the Denon I had.

I have KHorns and Single Ended amps and for me it's a great combination. BUT - I can also see where many people would not prefer it depending on their musical and other tastes. I read a lot about tubes on the internet too, and I believe the "awesomeness" of tubes can be a little overstated at times. My point being don't expect to be transformed to another dimension when you add tubes to your system, especially when you replace a Mac amp which is probably pretty darn good.

Having said all that - I would sell the Mac and use all the funds to buy either an Singled Ended integrated or a pre + amp that would work well together. At best the Mac's pre + a tube amp would be a compromise that sounds good, or it could sound bad. It probably would not sound excellent like an integrated or a well matched pre + amp could.

I run amps that range from 2 watts to 8 watts with my KHorns, and it works well because I'm in a small room (12' x 13'). 8 watts would probably be plenty for me in a much larger room, 2 watts probably not. If you normally listen loud to very loud, mostly hard rock, SETs might not be the best choice, although you certainly could rock out. To me, the magic of SET is in the subtle details that I hear on good recordings where the instruments aren't stepping over each other. SET is single Ended Triode. There are also Single Ended Pentodes that have some of the benefits of SET but also some benefits of a push/Pull design (namely more punch). I recently got a SEP and like it - EL34, KT88, 6L6 tubes.

Sorry this is all 1 paragraph...I gotta figure out how to fix that.

Hope this helps.

You are obviously thrilled as we all are on entering the world of Klipsch. Best advise I can offer - before you start spending and changing gear out, becoe more informed & listen to as many differnt systems as posssible. Your ears will guide you in the direction you want to go.

Good luck,

Cornman

You are obviously thrilled as we all are on entering the world of Klipsch. Best advise I can offer - before you start spending and changing gear out, becoe more informed & listen to as many differnt systems as posssible. Your ears will guide you in the direction you want to go.

Good luck,

Cornman

Excellent advice! I spent tons "o" cash to find the perfect "blend".

First and foremost, Macs are quality pre and power amps. Second,

I am in the group that thinks the power amp makes more of a difference to the

sound, especially with their wonderful qualities, and weaknesses, than pre amps.

One reason why power tube amps make so much of a difference is because of their

high current, but low wattage, pleasant even order distortion, but poor impedance

control of the woofer. Pre amps however, can really soften up the hard jitter

of disc players. The technical issues with tubes are many, but mainly NEVER

work on a tube amp when it is plugged in, since the experience can be SHOCKING.

VRDs are excellent tube amps for big ole horns. I ran classic

Dynaco ST-70s and SET amps on Cornwalls, LaScalas and Khorns for decades. I

think tube amps need deep solid state sub-woofers to help them out. You

really need to hear some tube amps for yourself. You can run a SET amp with

your Mac as a pre and since the Mac is a great piece of equipment, why not

start there?

You might be able to get a vintage integrated tube amp, like

the kind NOSvalves.com refurbishes (like Dynaco ST 70s, see his order list), have

him refurbish it (the old units all need it), use it and resell it at no cost if

you don’t like it. For the money, the mid and high end sound of a refurbished

tube amp will rival some of the best amps you can hear on ultra-efficient

horns. Not 100% solid-state accurate. No. But musical and enjoyable forever.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm glad to know that I can use the Mac as a decent starter pre. I like the idea of having an integrated in my system for a backup if for nothing else. Once I get my ultimate system going, I can use the Mac in a second setup. I'm wanting to get into tubes, but want to learn as I go. I may start a new thread tonight on some of the ideas I've had about my ultimate goal for a 2 channel and the best way to enjoy getting there.

I agree about the subwoofer, I like the idea of dual Vandersteen 2wq for stereo subs, I know they're not the the end all be all for movies, but I'm past the whole HT thing and am not looking for the most boom for my buck. I've read how they take take the signiture of the main power amp for a seamless transition to accurate, fast, deep bass. Then again, never heard them, and don't know that I can before I buy being in nowhere Arkansas, but everything I've read leads me to believe they'd be good music subs, especially if I end up with SET amps. Let the SETs power the mids and highs with the Vandys takning the signiture sound of the main amp to the lows.