Home theater connection help

Dante Rising

Good news: My Klipsch XF-48s just arrived! A friend tried to convince me to go with Paradigm but the klipsch just seems a better value, and they seem to have equally superlative sound.

Bad news: I'm new to the home theater arena, and could really use some help
assuring that I get my connections correct the first time. I have the
following hardware, and would greatly appreciate advice on how to
connect everything:

1 Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver

1 Panasonic 50PZ800U plasma TV (4 HDMI (3R/1F),analog audio inputs, PC video/audio inputs, digital audio, analog audio outputs)

1 Sony Playstation 3 (HDMI)

1 Xbox 360 (HDMI)

1 Panasonic BR player (HDMI)

1 pair of Klipsch XF-48 floorstanding speakers (internal self-powered
amplifier, Line-level RCA jack or high-level speaker binding posts)

Is it better to use the line level connection, or the high level
speaker binding posts as the connection of choice for the Klipsch
speakers?)

Thank you!

• Moderators

The easiest solution is to connect the three components (Xbox, BR player and PS3) via the HDMI inputs on your Onkyo. Then use the HDMI Out on your Onkyo and hook it to the HDMI input on your Plasma TV. I'll let someone else comment on the speakers since I have not personally used powered speakers. Most of them I believe hook up using regular speaker wire. If I had to guess, the line input would be for using a pre-out on your receiver but that would only be a guess.

Youthman is correct.

Ideally your would use the line level inputs but the 508 does not have pre-outs so your only option is to use the high gain inputs (speaker wire).

The best way to setup using the high gain inputs for level matching is to set the 48's gain control about half way , maybe a little less, then make the rest of the adjustments in the onkyo.

Any recommendations on good speaker wire?

The best way to setup using the high gain inputs for level matching is to set the 48's gain control about half way , maybe a little less, then make the rest of the adjustments in the onkyo

Could someone please explain how/where gain control is setup? From the
advice, it seems that this is not done with the receiver.

Sorry for my ignorance. There is alot more to absorb here than when I was researching my HDTV.

• Moderators

Take a look at the back of your speakers to see if there is a gain knob back there. Most speakers that have an amplifier built into the cabinet (like subwoofers and powered speakers) have a gain (volume). Check there and let us know.

Hopefully you did not purchase your HDMI cables from a local chain store. If you already did and check the pricing on Monoprice, you'll cry. [:'(] It's crazy how much markup manufacturers add to interconnects, especially if they start with the letter "M" and end with the letter "r".

Take a look at the back of your speakers to see if there is a gain knob back there. Most speakers that have an amplifier built into the cabinet (like subwoofers and powered speakers) have a gain (volume). Check there and let us know.

Hopefully you did not purchase your HDMI cables from a local chain store. If you already did and check the pricing on Monoprice, you'll cry. [:'(] It's crazy how much markup manufacturers add to interconnects, especially if they start with the letter "M" and end with the letter "r".

Nope. All my HDMI cables are from Monoprice. Video is the one thing I DO know. :)

The Klipsch only have the following:

Sensitivity (high or low)

Power (auto or on)

Line In

+,- speaker binding posts

I did see this on one review:

'"There's no way to
individually balance the XF-48's low- and high-frequency amps -
perfectly sensible, since unlike "power tower" designs with
active-subwoofer-only sections, the Icon's low-frequency side covers
the full bass-to-midrange spectrum."

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?