New to Home theater. need matching sub and center channel for klipsch kg 3.5's

jonnyd2121

Hi everybody. First of all, im completely new to home theater, as well as this site. I got interested in home theater from my older brother and was hooked after hearing and seeing his setup. I have an Optoma HD66 projector, Onkyo TX-SR607, Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray, and two klipsch kg 3.5 floorstanding speakers for audio. I have been reading all sorts of forums just trying to learn more about home theater, so I appreciate all the information i have received from all of you. I'm trying to figure out the next best move for my audio. FYI, I want to go fairly cheap on the center channel and sub, if thats what you all think i should go with first. The room is not big enough for rear surround. I am looking for the matching center channel and subwoofer for the klipsch kg 3.5. After all, I really dont know what "good" is, as this is my first pair of Home theater speakers. But i am very very please with them!!!!

THANK YOU!

first of all congratulations on your new toys. With regards to cheaping out on the center channel, try not to. This is the most important speaker, because most of the dialogue will be coming from here, so if you can, get a decent center channel. As for the sub, this is where you can have more flexibility with brands and mixing and matching.

Congrats, welcome to the hobby and forum. I started out with a all "in the box system" with little cube speakers, I thought it sounded fantastic! Then I upgrade to a Best Buy receiver and some cheap Polks, sounded fantastic! upgraded , again , again, again , again,. Last time I upgraded I said wow, I will never want to up grade! why would anyone want separates!!

I just upgraded to separates. I will never upgrade again, sounds fantastic! Beware... Hope this helps

Welcome Jonnyd. I also have a pair of KG 3.5s and enjoy them very much. Here is an older post that has some center channel suggestions.

If you want to go a cheaper route with a sub, look for one of the Klipsch SW series. They were made during the KG era. Smallest to largest, there are the SW-8, 10, 12, & 15 models. Here is an SW-8 on Ebay. They do not have an "auto-on" feature. Just a switch on the back that you manually turn on and off. You can find great deals locally on craigslist if you search often.

Good luck in your HT quest.

Another option to consider is to run your fronts on Phantom (where the center channel is split into your 2 mains). Pick up a decent sub. When you decide to upgrade - buy the matching front 3 (2 mains plus center) and move your KG's to side/surround duty. OR you could pick up the center now and use it later as a single rear (6.1).

Thanks everybody!!!!

Im bidding on a klipsch kv1 center channel right now. I hope this can do the trick for the time being. The next purchase is the sub, and I will probably go with the SW10. I dont think I need anything bigger than that right now, do any of you?

The next purchase is the sub, and I will probably go with the SW10. I dont think I need anything bigger than that right now, do any of you?

You have the most flexibility in looking for a sub. You don't have to worry so much about timbre matching as you do with your fronts(L, R, and center). I think the SW-10 would work very well. If for some reason, through Craigslist or wherever, you find a bigger SW or a more modern sub, go for it. The bigger and more powerful the sub, the more laid back and effortless your low end will be.

Congrats on the KV-1, and good luck in your sub search.