TBrennan Altec Question

Q-Man

TBrennan,

I have a pair of Altec 288-16K drivers and 805B horns.

I would like to try them with a Jensen Imperial bass horn cabinet. I'm using a K-33-E in this cabinet.

I've been searching ebay for a pair of Altec's N-500 networks. I see that they had many versions of this network. I've seen C's, D's, E's, F's and G's. Do you have any idea which one was used with the 288-16K driver? If you do, will it also work with the K-33E? I can see from some of the photos of some of these N-500 networks that they have different tap settings.

Maybe you could help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks, Q.

------------------

Q-Man

TBrennan,

Thanks for the link, I'll go check it out.

The K-33e is a 4 ohm woofer, but being horn loaded, like in the Klipschorn and LaScala brings it closer to 8 ohms.

The Imperial basshorn has about a 600Hz high end cutoff, unlike the 400 HZ in the Klipschorn. The Imperial cabinet should be ideal for these 500Hz drivers and horns.

Thanks for your help, Q.

I think you can use a 16 ohm driver with a 8 ohm network.

------------------

Q-Man

Here is another good site that I found with some altec information. www.soundpractices.com

Your right about the networks that match the 288-16K 16 ohm driver. But, I also found out that it's more important that the network match the woofer, and most of the woofers Altec used in the large format horns were 16 ohms. Since my woofer will present an 8 ohm load, I'm going to try an 8 ohm netwoork. I was told that is all right to use a 16 ohm HF driver with an 8 ohm network. I also found out that I can change the 16 ohm diaphragm in the 288 to an 8 ohm one if need be.If I can ever find any.

I going to look for the Altec N8500-8A network. It is 8 ohms and has a continuously variable "L" pad which will give me some control over the HF driver.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Qman---You can buy brand new 8-ohm diaphragms from Great Plains Audio in Oklahoma. The owner, Bill Hanusheck, was Altec's last chief engineer and bought all the tooling when Telex killed Altec. He makes his products the same way the Altec products were made on the same machines and with some of the same employees. And his prices are very reasonable.

TBrennan,

One last question or request. If you have a web or business address for Great Plains Audio, will you post it? Thanks for your time and help.

John,

Interesting, I'll have to do a little homework.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man