KW-120-THX Amp Question

Twdwelle

Wish I were able to buy it, but sadly that is out of the question.

I'm just looking for specifics on powering the KW-120 on the cheap.

If I can figure out how to power a sub or two, then that should help the overall sound.

Not worried about plug n play, I'm willing to get creative.

Is this more complicated than adding an amp and crossover?

I have powered one KW-120 before with a separate sub amp, specifically the Dayton dedicated sub amp from Parts Express. It's around $400, but they put them on sale from time to time. They also sell plate amps for DIY sub builders. It is likely you can use other full-frequency-range amps as well, but make sure that there aren't any impedance mismatches. I don't know if there are other compatibility issues or not. Check out the sub forums on Audioholics as well as AVS Forum; those guys seem to try a lot of sub speaker-amp configurations.

I still stand by my recommendation.. Look on ebay etc for a used one.. good luck!

Why go through all the effort a few hundred either way and never get what the system is capable of by not going the route I suggested?

Kinda like buying a Corvette and putting a Chevy Nova engine in it. It's just wrong.

Richard, thanks for the info about the other forums, I'll try over there.

BTW, I managed to get a H/K citation 12 deluxe donated to the cause, so I'm getting closer.

IndyFan, actually, it's kinda of like you are on a farm and you'd like something to drive around because it's a long walk from the barn to the bunk house. You notice an old corvette in a shed and it has had a Nova engine installed, but the carburator is having trouble. Overhaul the carburator and you've got something to drive on the dirt roads of the farm. I suppose you could try to source a corvette engine for it, because it's just wrong to leave the Nova engine in it, but really if you aren't looking for max performance, and you don't even own it, then maybe an overhaul kit for the carburator is just the ticket.

Cheers,

Tom in CA

Old corvette hugh?? 1953.... With a Chevy NOVA engine?? WT..... heck....

Get it on a carport tow it back into the shop. Never a 53 on the dirt roads for this baby!

BTW, I found a good source as a re built engine off of Google.... there wasn't really a max performance in 53 anyhow, it is for looks, for show, and you need to re marry it with the engine designed for it too. You find a 53 and did not buy "the package" to make it puuuuurrrrrr? Sad... The only reason to get the carb overhaul is to drive it yourself to the body shop to refurbish it...

PS... Go get a beat up jeep for around the farm. Your making me cry here!

PSS As a last resort... LOL.. I understand...but it is just WRONG!

That amp was made for those speakers. If u only KNEW what you really had?

I guess you can lead a horse (klipsch forum fan with a question) to water, but you can't make him drink (See the correct answer if he does not want to see it.) LOL Your gonna do what you want anyhow... Enjoy whatever u do.

Still laughing at that reply.

I'm not as hard core about my audio as I used to be.

My ultimate goal is of course to get the Klipsch amp. How to get it with no $ is the challenge, but my dear uncle wants me to sell an engine for him, so I'll try get him to buy the amp as my "commission."