ProMedia 2.1 Satellite Speaker 3"driver. Replace or upgrade?

Hi all,

I've had my ProMedia 2.1 speakers for several years now and I LOVE them.

My problem is that in the last few days I've been hearing a "rattle" from my right satellite speaker. I did all the normal, simple troubleshooting.

To make a long story short, it was driving me crazy, so I cut open the dust cap on the voice coil. I found a piece of solder broken loose and bouncing around inside of the cone.

So now I have a 3" driver with a big nasty hole in it. Not cool.

Will Klipsch sell me just the 3" driver or do I have to buy an entire replacement satellite unit?

It's the weekend now. I'm getting ancy and am thinking about just ordering these this weekend: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-812

Advice? Suggestions?

Those speakers will work well, I found the sound to be a little nicer than the klipsch but the volume levels need to be set higher and the subwoofer turned down lower, I think the impedence is higher than the klipsch speakers so they resist more. But they also look much nicer when you take the grill off with these speakers. If you really want some factory speakers then let me know as I can probably get you 1 shipped for $20.

Those speakers will work well, I found the sound to be a little nicer than the klipsch but the volume levels need to be set higher and the subwoofer turned down lower, I think the impedence is higher than the klipsch speakers so they resist more.

Thanks for the reply, are you using the after market drivers now and if so for how long?

How much more volume knob are we talking about...just a smidge or a whole lot?

Just curious about lowering the sub volume...is this because it will sound better or something to do with the amp pushing 8ohm speakers instead of 4ohm?

Definitely leaning towards moving to the aftermarket drivers I think. Thanks so much for your time. -Bryan

I don't use an ProMedia's anymore, Everything is hooked up throguh my receiver now, I was using them full time for about 2 months though. I recall having to turn the sub almost all the way down for a better cleared sound mix with the sats vers the 1/4 to 1/3 area where I liked it before. (I don't like a lot of bass, I like clarity in a full frequency range.

• 1 year later...