A word on converters

fawwaz

Well with all the discussion on converters(transformers 220v-110v),I would like to say that I just bought one for 10$ that the electrain told me can handle 10A which according to him is more than enough for the klipsch promedia or any other amplifier.

Well I would like to know Amy's opinion about that and I think the power supply here (in lebanon and europe is 50Hz ) not sure what it is in the states 50or60Hz . Further from my own knowledge their is a step down in the amplifier to around 12V DC right?

I would apperciate your comments Amy ( wanna be sure I got the right transformer)

No, this does not seem right. A step down transformer in the 500VA range would be significantly more expensive than $10.

This sounds like one of those "hair dryer" converters which is not a true transformer type converter.

Make sure you are getting a transformer type with a rating of 500 VA or better.

A better option will be to get the 230 Volt version. (Amy, perhaps you can tell fawwaz who the distributor for Lebanon is...).

-djf

ironically the price thing is what worries me , but it nothing fancy in fact the electration did this transformer himself ,and it weighs around 3.8-4kg, 3.5" high and 5"wide ,Is there a way to safly test

if it can output up to a 1000W since it is (as the electracian said capabale of up to 10Amps which is a huge amount).

Most steroes and computers come with a 110v-220V switch it shouldnt be that costly should it?

By the way the dealer in lebaonon doesnt have klipsch anymore and never heard of promedias

It may be a decent transformer, but it doesn't sound large enough for a 500 VA rating. I would be still somewhat wary about it.

As you may know, the power supply for audio amplifiers is a particularly sensitive application. Klipsch debated the possibility of providing a dual power supply, but the sacrifice in performance was too great. A dual power supply would have to have an additional set of transformer windings which is a compromise to the original transformer design.

Therefore, the decision was made to create two different power supplies, one optimized for 120 V; and one for 230 V.

In this case, I continue to recommend that you use the 230V version instead of risking the transformer with the 120 V.

Thanks for the info Dan , but as You by now know it is impossible to me to obtain the 220V version, then the thing about the klipsch debate, who are your sources for this story.

From my experience(humble on I might say) all the appliances I have seen especailly audio, and including my Pioneer A330 which I am using ,all of them a 110-220V switch in them.

You say there is a comprise where is comprimise I dont beleive it is in quality because there is a step down anyway in the amplifier to 12V (Iam guessing here and not sure)

I do agree with you that it would be much less of a hassle if I get the 220V version but as I said i think it impossible.

Hope Amy helps here

If you have any other observations I would apperciate it Dan F ( by the way whats the frequency in the states 50 or 60Hz??

by the way whats the frequency in the states 50 or 60Hz??

60 Hzc>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Well I have just started a course in Electric Machinery fundemantels(electro-magnetic devices),and will ask my professer on Wedensday about this stuff .

He'll probably tell me a good project for you is to build that 500w converter so I'll just take him the 10$ converter I bought and ask him if it can handle up to a 1000 watts!!

Till Wed. then

Cheers

The 230 V version should be generally available by now, but I confess to not knowing the particulars about the distributor for Lebanon. If you can wait a few days, we'll try to get another read on that.

The transformer (in the case of the 4.1) is for a switching type power supply, which delivers a voltage off the secondary at something like +/- 40 Volts peak. After regulation and rectification it provides voltage rails of +/- 30 Volts or so, depending on the load. Both the 120 and 230 Volt versions deliver the same output capability.

I realize a lot of equipment, including some very good home units use dual power supplies. This is typically a more expensive power supply transformer(or alternately, a performance compromise if the same size transformer is used). Using two different transformers allowed us to optimize each for its respective line voltage.

Interestingly, we learned that some Asian countries do not allow dual voltage equipment in this class. So, that was another reason why two different voltage models were desired.

Good luck with your class project...I'd be interested in hearing what the prof says about your transformer.