Beautiful La Scalas on Craigslist (should I get em?)

New cross over's will not likely help with the harshness in the mids.

Mid Harshness Cures:

1) Tube amp - with the right tubes

2) Good Solid State - Nelson Pass etc. that is not so harsh.

3) Tractrix Horns

I have tractrix horns and tubes.

With my current tube line up the tractrix horns are not required to fix the headache issue but I have kept them any way - very linear.

My ALKs have brought out a lot of detail and added life back into the music.

Other networks have sounded flat in the mids or have been bass shy.

For Tweeters BOBs are an improvement and good-fits-in-the-cabinent solution.

I put JBL 2404s on top, $120 used each with new horns, and love what they do for the highs. I was missing alot of the music before they where hooked up. Sensitivity is rated at 105 Db so there is not really any crossover work required. Just find a pair that has orginal diaphrams and test good. Lots of old church stuff out there that is plenty of life left.

Beymas can sound good also if you are looking for new.

No More Headaches - BE36.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the boomy bass I would look at: (before rebuilding the cabinets)

Room placement,

Sitting position

Amps

Room treatmens, carpet etc.

And maybe the cross over.

If it was not for this forum I would not consider rebuilding my cabinets because of boomy bass, quite the opposite, I have listend to a 1/2 dozen K-Horns in all kinds of rooms and have always thought that my La Scales have tighter/better bass. They just need need a little from a sub for the really low stuff.

K-horns seam to fill the room with bass but not that tight of bass for my taste. When I relocate my system, hopefully within the next year, K-horns will be a better fit for the space but I will likely stay with La Scalas, a sub, and put another 3/4 inch of plywood on the sides and call it day.

With VRD tube amps there is plenty of non-boomy bass for all most all music with out a sub woofer.

Some La Scala owner have put a brace inside the cabinet that joins the Dog House to the Sides that eliminates the issue with boomy bass around 150 hertz.