subwoofer connection

larry47

I recently purchased the Quintet System with the KSW-10 subwoofer. (I am not looking to knock my house off the foundation).

Most of my listening will be CD music. However, I would like to also have the option of 5.1 mixing when I am watching DVD or surround sound programming.

My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5280 and I have speaker system hooked into the "A" while I plan on using the "B" switch for the Quintet system.

I have read the connection info posted here, but I am confused about the connections to use the sub for listening to CD recordings. Can I piggy-back the sub connections to the Main L/R terminals with banana plugs and then run the cables to the sub terminals?

I understand that the sub out control on the receiver will only activate the sub when running 5.1 programming. Can I connect the sub to the receiver using a sub cable as well to get the .1 signal?

I would be grateful for any suggestions on hooking up the system.

Well I dont know your Yamaha in detail but here is my take...

You will have to move your current speakers from "A" to "B".

Your new Quintets will be conected to "A" and the remaining three Quintet sats and center will conect to their respective speaker outs.

The KSW10 sub will conect to the sub out on the reciever.

Set the Quintets to "small" in the reciever's setup menu.Quintets will cut the bass out anyway,why waste amp power?

Place the sub alongside the wall in front of you if you can,in a corner(or near)may be good too.The sub crossover can be set to max(freq.),phase to 0(does not matter too much as Quintets dont have any real deep bass),volume on the sub to 8/10(you will adjust the level on your reciever).

When you play 2 channel music the reciever will still send bass signal to the sub.Since the mains are set to small.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Larry:

Another option is to set the speakers to large and as you suggest, "piggy back" the sub to the main outs. Set the crossover to take over where your mains roll off. Adjust the volume of the sub to blend and not overpower your mains and voila, great two channel audio with a sub taking over for the low end (where it belongs).

Regards,

Stuf>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW220 Sub Subwoofer (18 hz)

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B