B&k 7250

Jolly Roger

The 7250 is a beefy amp but its a clean amp and you should be fine. Power does not nessessarily blow speakers unlike signal clipping. Just don't over drive the speakers. I use a 7260 to drive two RCW-3's (in-walls) and have not had a problem what so ever. bi-amping the Denon with the 7250 will give you better head room, and a much cleaner sound, but you should eventually move to a real pre-amp. With a power amp use good clean ac power i.e. a power cord with in-line filering or something like monster power. Remember garbage in garbage out...

------------------

MM

Well, I picked one up. I was actually on the way home with it in my trunk and I stopped by another hifi store to look at some cables. I ended up buying pretty much a whole two channel setup because I felt like it was such a deal. Kinda wish I had waited on the B&K even though I still want it.(or something close for cheaper) Anyway, this thing sat in the box in my floor for about a week and a half. I finally broke down and hooked it up the other night. Stayed up till three in the morning hooking it up when I have to be up at seven. Yep finally got back excited about it. Only problem is it tripped the breaker as soon as I hit the power button. Did it twice then blew a fuse. So I called the place I bought it and they said "Bring it in we'll have a look." So I unhook it, slide it out of my entertainment center, put it back in the box, give myself a hernia. I get up back to the store, they barely look at it and give me a new one. Get back home and I hook it up to a different socket. Hit power, it works. Hook it up to the other socket, hit power, it works. Whew! Slide it in, hook it back up to everything. Problem is with the load of anything else on the circuit it trips a breaker. *sigh*

I guess I'm going to buy a 20 amp breaker and put in place of the 15 amp one. If that doesnt work I guess I'll take it back till I move to a new location. Does you guys power cords fit tight? Mine doesn't. This thing must hold some serious energy, it took for ever for the power to drain out.

MM, so how many channels do you use of that 7260? Thanks for the response guys. Wish me luck! JR

This message has been edited by Jolly Roger on 04-04-2002 at 11:17 PM

jr, yea i got a 20 amp breaker put in before i even got

the 7270. also got everything else runnin off the same

circuit & no breaker trip so far.

i'm only running 6/7 channels on it. of course the sub

takes a lot of strain off the 7270. have the high pass

set at 50hz so a lot of that current saping low bass is going to the velo hgs-18.

be sure to give it a good 5 in or more to breath. i just did an add-a-shelf to my rack to give it another 3" on the bottom shelf (i initially ran the cables under the floor w/ the old sys & didn't get long enough

to be able to put it on the open top shelf. too lazy & cheap to buy new cables & rewire. Smile.gif). anyway w/ 5" & open on all sides it's runnin much cooler now. it'll run a lil warm w/ that huge toroid & mosfets.

good luck!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Jolly Roger,

I use 4 channels of the 7260. Three mono blocks driving the mains and the center, the 7260 drives the two rears and two sides. I go full range in the rear RF-5's, and I love the B&K. As a matter of fact I think it sounds just as smooth and clean as the mono blocks (well almost Smile.gif. Very tube like.

------------------

MM

This message has been edited by Marathon Man on 04-06-2002 at 12:54 PM

All can say is wow! Just got it working and this thing sounds so smooth straight out of the box. The Denon sounded good but was way too bright, all though I didnt know it at the time. Cant wait till this baby breaks in some. Even my girlfreind said she could hear an imediate improvement. Thats a pretty big statement to me. She has never said anything about any other upgrade I made other than "you know I can't tell a difference". Wow I'm excited again!!!

great jr! yea that is a Big statement. my girlfriend even said she couldn't tell a dif when i grew my goatee Wink.gif. never any comments like that through my ever evolving array & rack (now we may have to upgrade hers). sorry, we're not gettin along real well right now. cwm1.gif

you know what comes next: the reference 30. Wink.gif

here's my present rack (it's actually straight up/down, pic's just leaning):

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/uploads/boa12/P4050001.jpg

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-06-2002 at 04:07 PM

Good job JR.

I told you that amp sounds very very smooth. As boa12 said if you think the 7250 made a huge difference add the ref 30 pre-amp and you may not leave home for a few weeks because you will have to play all your media again. It will be like hearing them for the first time.

Have fun with the new amp.

------------------

MM

I was originally running boston VRM-50 bookshelves with a 7250/ref 30 combo.

i thought it sounded really good. then i bought a pair of RF3's and wow what a difference. way more dynamic range. i think the bostons are still nice but im not sure they're a good match with b&k.

but damn....RF3's matched with a ref 30/7250 combo is outstanding. throw in a nice sub and the center and surrounds and then throw in the talking heads "stop making sense" dvd and i guarentee you'll have all your friends dancing in your living room. mine were this past weekend. for about the 10th time.