Lightning Fixed My Ultra 5.1's (No, seriously)

So my Ultra 5.1's started making a very loud buzzing sound starting last week. The only way I could get it to go away would be to turn the volume up to 78 then set the volume from my PC to very low. I was sure I was screwed and would have to eventually replace them in the coming weeks. And then a lightning storm happened and the power went out as I heard a mighty crack in the night. My cat of course ran under the bed in terror. It quickly turned back on. My brother went upstairs and said the speakers were making a loud buzzing noise. I came up and looked at the control pod and it still said 76. I turned it back down to my normal 40 (pre-buzz) level and the buzzing is completely gone. Everything works perfect now. I tried switching out control pods when I first heard the buzz so I know it is something with the sub. I have no idea how long they will stay fixed but I just thought this would be a fun story to share. Anybody have any idea why this happened or if they think it will stay fixed?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the buzzing too. From what Klipsch support tells me, it's the control module that has been damaged. They recommended me to www.sybesmas.com or 1-800-456-4625 for further assistance. I have yet to contact them, but I'm seriously thinking of doing so as there isn't anything out there to replace these bad boys with IMO.

I found a guy off of ebay that will fix it and upgrade the cooling to prevent further damage. He is very familiar with the buzzing problem.

Just curious, but do you have any idea what the guy on eBay plans to do to "upgrade the cooling"? More importantly, is this for the sub or the satellite speakers?

"Repair and replacing/upgrading 20 to 30 components that have aged from heat, installing the cooling fan and its power supply, and return shipping to the lower 48 states have been costing $85 to $125 total."

Everything is done to the sub. You only send the back panel to him. So its actually very reasonable shipping cost.

IMO it's totally worth the money. I modded my LCD TV and put a small USB fan on there. The TV went from overheating and shutting down after an hour to never ever having a problem again. And that was over a year ago.

That sounds great. If the Ultra 5.1 system is anything like my ProMedia 2.1, the sub always gets too hot IMO (esprcially since it's on all the time with a pretty big transformer inside). I have a burned out power supply resistor that I am going to attempt to replace myself in the hope that I can get my sub to come back to life. However, having the cabinet ventilated with a fan would be a big plus as far as I am concerned. Would you mind sharing the guy's name, link, or contact info? I'd like to see if he does the same kind of work on a 2.1 system (and feel free to PM or email me if you prefer).

Thanks,

Don

• 9 months later...