RF-82 Speaker Setting With New AVR and AMP.

WolfsBane

Hello Folks!

I am in the process of doing some overdue updating of my home system. I've added a Yamaha RX-V750 and an Emotiva XPA-3 is currently on it's way to me. When I run the YPAO on my AVR, the system of course detects that the RF-82s can run down below 40hz and sets them up to "large". I have a couple of questions on this.

1. Can the RF-82 run linearly down to the rated 33hz on the specs? Since I have the XPA-3 coming in for the LCR channels, the RF-82s are going to have plenty of power to run as "large" regardless. I just don't know if it will be with a flat frequency response down to the rated lower frequency.

2. If I decide to stick to running the RF-82 mains as "large" in 5.1 mode, I have a concern as to when the receiver actually starts discriminating LFR sent to the mains from the LFE or .1 stuff that is supposed to be sent to the LFE channel to the sub. In other words, at what frequency does dolby starts sending the signal to the .1 or LFE channel rather than to the main speakers as LFR when set to "large"?

Ideally, I would have loved to be able to set my RX-V750 to set speakers to "large" while on two channel mode for music, and independently set all speakers to "small" while listening to 5.1 source material, but I don't think I have that capability.

thanks!

Agreed... the problem is that if I leave the RF-82 mains set to large, (as per the YPAO settings), the mains will not actually have a set crossover point at which all frequencies would be sent to the sub. The receiver would send all LFR content to the mains. I just dont know at which point the receiver would start sending the .1 or LFE stuff to the sub in this case.

Agreed... the problem is that if I leave the RF-82 mains set to large, (as per the YPAO settings), the mains will not actually have a set crossover point at which all frequencies would be sent to the sub. The receiver would send all LFR content to the mains. I just dont know at which point the receiver would start sending the .1 or LFE stuff to the sub in this case.

LFR? You lost me. Maybe you mean LFE? The .1 (LFE) track is an independant track like Left Front, Left Surround etc, It's ALLWAYS sent to the sub out section of your receiver unless your receiver has the ability to send it to your mains when you DON'T have a sub.

Sorry... old school. LFR, (Low Frequency Range)... known these days as Low Pass Frequency, not the independent LFE or .1 channel track. The .1 channel is always directed to the low frequency driver or sub unless it is specified to go to the mains, which is seldom if ever recommended.

I had my questions answered by a couple of posts by Roger Dressler at AVS. ;-)