k-horn advice

mazak

Hi

I own a pair of k-horns(late 70's-early 80's) that have been in less than ideal storage. The cabinets appear to be in good shape. The x-overs look pretty ugly. I'm considering a pair of ALK x-overs + speaker rebuild. My question is what is a sane amount of money to spend on these k-horns to get them back in top-notch form ? Can anyone recommend a good speaker rebuilder ? I've checked & it seems that you can get a decent pair of used ones in the $2500 range. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

The only omportant part of the xover that would be affected by corrosion would be the connections. Unscrew them and clean the terminals and that's all they'll need. I have ALK xovers and like them a lot. I think they are a bit better than the Type AA and miles better than the Type AL I had in one pair of my La Scalas. they are said to sound a lot like the type AK-3 and by inference the Type AL-3.

As for the cabinets, only a cabinet maker can tell you how much they need to have done to them. By your description, it sounds like little or nothing.

The drivers will not require rebuilding unless insects or rodents have damaged the woofers.

The first step looks like getting them out and giving them a good cleaning and oiling with lemon oil or other good furniture oil/cleaner.

I think you answered your own question about a sane expenditure. You might also call Klipsch and price a new pair of bass horns or a even a new pair of complete cabinets. There are authentic plans out there you could use to have a cabinet maker build you a set as well, but the bass horn is a HUGE amount of work. These last options are in case your cabinets are beyond repair.

John

This message has been edited by John Albright on 03-27-2002 at 03:40 PM

Thanks John

The cabinets are in good physical shape. The veneer is in good condition so I'm guessing the cabinets are perfect.

I guess I should have said driver rebuild instead of speaker rebuild.

The screens are intact on the wooofer port so I'm assuming no rodent or insect damage. I was mainly concerned about the long term effect moisture would have on the drivers.

I called about the ALK x-overs & was a bit suprised when I found out they were only $500. I think this is a conservative price. If I'm lucky I can buy the ALK's & have an awesome pair of speakers.

Thanks again & I 'll let you know how things turn out.