S4 left earbud crackling

Bbmaster

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. I recently bought a pair of s4's, and due to a crackling noise in my left earbud (tried all types of music, only in left ear, and tried lossless), I exchanged them for another pair of S4's. The problem is that I'm experiencing the same issue in my left earbud again, so I was wondering if this is like some sort of design flaw or am I just unlucky to get 2 bad headphones. The left ear sounds loose, and when I'm wearing them and I tap the earbuds, I can hear a tinny noise in the left one which sounds like something is loose, which I do not get when I tap on the right one. I generally like these headphones, but this issue is very aggravating when I am listening to music, especially rock.

This post has been up for almost a week, and I was really hoping that posting on this forum would help to by yielding a response from one of the Klipsch employees, as so many others have. I would just really appreciate some insight on this issue. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Have you tried the headphones with another device to rule out problems with your source? Are you certain the connection to the device is secure?

This is certainly not a common problem, and would be very unusual for you to get two bad sets. Please speak with our customer service at 800-Klipsch if you continue to experience problems.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am having the exact same problems with my Klipsch s4i (about a week old). The left earbud drops out and only outputs static.

The only fix is for me to unplug them from the source (in my case, a Dell Latitude D620) and replug them. They will then work for an unpredictable amount of time.

Amy -- I took your advice and tried a different source: I have not had the problem on my iPod, but do not listen to my iPod for the same lengths of time I do my computer (~1 hour compared to ~9).

My hunch is that it is a problem with the connection between the headphone jack and the laptop input, but am baffled as to why it is so sporadic and (seemingly) random. This last fact leads me to think its the S4i's problem.

Other headphones of mine (which do not have integrated mics, and therefore different jacks) have never had this problem.

I am considering returning them.

As Amy mentioned in response to my post about using S4i earphones with Android or other non-Apple phones or devices, they have an Apple-compatible chip, so they work best with Apple devices, but not too well with other units.

With my new Android phone (HTC Legend), the S4i earphones worked for a few calls, then the mic stopped working, or you could say it stopped communicating with the cellphone.

It's not a flaw in the earphones. They're just specialized to work with Apple devices. The S2m phones will work with non-Apple devices, plus they're less expensive than the S4i units.