First impressions of new crossovers in 22-year-old Fortes...

I recently swapped out the old stock crossover networks in my Fortes with Crites' upgrades - while I had everything opened up, I also upgraded the original binding posts (red and black plastic that I never felt comfortable tightening) with Cardas rhodium/gold plated 5-ways - a very worthwhile upgrade, IMHO.

I was prepared for a break-in period that I experienced when I bought these new back in '88, but was surprised at how warm and smooth they sounded right away. Unusually, it is taking a couple of more notches on the volume knob to get these to the levels I'm used to hearing, but this is not necessarily a negative - I am just puzzled by the reason, whether there is something electrically that is not coming through in quite the same way, or if there was perhaps some distortion that I was hearing previously that enables the new crossovers to seem quieter in contrast.

I am now considering the titanium diaphragms for the tweeters (and for my Academy center, as well), but think I will spend some time with just the crossover upgrades first.

(For anyone who attempts this upgrade, be aware that the stock network, at least on my Fortes, have a helluva lot of solder attaching the binding posts internally - to get the old crossover boards off cleanly, I had to de-solder the connections to the binding posts on the surface of the PCB. Not a particularly daunting task, but a little time-consuming with my low-powered soldering gun).

I had fully intended to take some pictures of the second speaker job, but ended up doing it on a whim later at night, and didn't want the flash going off and bothering the rest of the sleeping family...

You have the upgrade addiction that most of us here have. I have upgraded my Forte' crossovers back in Dec. 1996. Here is a post of my initial impressions:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94027

I have since then installed Crites tweeter and midrange diaphrams and most recently spikes. The funny thing is that when I first purchased my Forte's (used) I thought that I would never need to perform any upgrades since they sounded so good. Now I listen to my Forte's bi-amped and still enjoy my Forte's more then ever.

Something I love about these speakers is their amazing ability shine with better components; I always thought they sounded great, but when I started to buy some higher end gear (and yes, cables), they became even more revealing and live-sounding; I don't know what the ultimate set of components and upgrades would be to bring these to the best possible sound for my ears; I'm sure I would run out of funds (and the patience of my Significant Other) long before I found out...

I have become familiar with SET12's upgrades, particularly his outboard crossovers - if I had the available funds and the technical acumen, I could very easily see myself going a similar route...

I could easily see myself needing a divorse attorney if I went that route.

Chuck,

I have been through the exact same thing a number of times. When I first exchanged my Cornwall crossovers for Dean's mega-expensive Super B's, I was disappointed. I had the EXACT first impression you had. I decided to listen for 2 weeks then swap back to my originals.

I'm not sure if it was break-in or just my ears adjusting, but when I swapped back in the originals 2 weeks later, I couldn't imagine ever listening with those horrible, bright and distorted original crossovers.

I would give them some time, then put back the originals and see what you think before spending any more money. I was never a big fan of changing the Klipsch sound so I kept my original drivers.

Please keep us posted.

Gary