Custom 1's, Not as happy as I thought I would be!

nltenday

I love and have always loved Klipsch speakers. With that said, I wanted a pair of ear-buds/earphones for my ipod, but as you know price is what has keep me from getting a pair, that is until now. I picked up a set of Custom 1's, for a great deal online because Klipsch is no longer going to have the Customs. My father picked up a pair of the new S4's, and I thought that they were great. I seen that Klipsch had the Customs, and feel in love with the design, I do a lot of working out and walking, so over the ear looked like the way to go. I got my set a couple of days ago and I have to say, I do love the fit, and the design, but.... I'm not as happy as I thought that I would be with the sound. Kind of disappointed really! I should have done more research and read more reviews than what I did. Looks like I would have loved the Custom 3's. I found the the Custom 1's lack bass. The mid range is fantastic, but where is the bass? ugh! These are not the phones for me. But I have to say again that I do love the fit and the design, they don't fall out while I'm running. Not sure if I'm going to keep them and give them as a gift to someone, or try and return them.

Did you make sure you had a good seal in the ear? There is a substantial difference in the 'meat' of the sound without it.

It took me a couple weeks of fiddling with the different ear tips before I found the most comfortable size for me that would keep a seal (middle size). The larger size gives me a seal almost all of the time but hurts my ear after a while. The middle size gives me a seal 'most' of the time (I use these when I'm outdoors working so I get sweaty and they slip out).

Go through the detail of trying different tips... and how to say it.. "jamming" them in your ear tight enough to get the seal. Once you have the seal made you will start to understand the target of what you need to do.

Don't give up the ship yet!

This has been a public service comment... I'm biased and have owned Custom 3's for several years now AND liked them so much bought a backup pair for when I destroy these. My second pair is currently still in bubble wrap sitting in the drawer at my office. Your experiences might be different than mine.

[Y]

I have tried several different seals, I use the comply foam tips now, I'm getting a good seal, that's not the problem. There just is little bass, I like my bass for some of the music that I listen to. I have read many different reviews now and do believe that the Custom 3's should have been the way to go, but I guess you live and learn. The Custom 1's just doesn't give me what I want; they do have great mid range though. And again I can't tell you how much I love the design and fit, but the sound is not what I thought it would be. You live and learn.