Black Chorus II with raised grain...best way to sand and refinish.

alkemyst

My dad and I just picked up a set of black Chorus II's for his new theatre room...a bit of raised grain on one (drinks on top probably). They need some refinishing anyway.

What's the best way to do this and what finish do we use to match?

Thanks

They are black lacquer. Unfortunately, no matter how careful, etc. you are, it's almost impossible to match a "side" or a "top" to verything else that's original. The best way is to remove the drivers and crossovers and simply sand and prep both cabinets for either veneer (easiest to do) or new lacquer (hardest to do...).

In terms of re-finishing and in particular prepping for eith lacquer or veneer, see:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109693.aspx and http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117315.aspx

Lacquer is a PIA, and other than paying someone to do it, you will have to obtain the lacquer primer, lacquer and the lacquer clear top coat. Stuff's special order and because of the environmental issues here in Florida, nobody uses it. The other thing is that until the hurricane season is over and the humidity and temps are not so weird, it would be best to wait until November or December before attempting to do it yourself. Figure about $100 for the lacquer (see the thread(s) for the factory type used), and figure about $150 for a good "gun". You also have to have a very well ventilated area, a mask (recommended), and an air compressor that has a water "trap".
There are some far less expensive alternatives if you have to have "black", and the result is extremely difficult to differentiate between lacquer and the enamel that is used as the alternative. You can email me and I can discuss the alternative with you if you are interested.