Just got a new Amp

Usmcsoldriver,

Congratulations on your amp purchase. You should/will be pleased with your B&K for a long time. Rock solid build quality with a neutral/warmness that you would have to spend a ton more elsewhere to duplicate. Great price.

Bill

i failed to mention the speakers! Just to give the total picture.

RF-7's.

Reference 200.2

Power Rating @ 8 ?

225 W

Power Rating @ 4 ?

375 W

Number of Channels

Current (Peak to Peak)

Dynamic Head Room

1.2 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)

0.09%

Signal to Noise (S/N)

95dB

Input Impedance

33.2 kΩ

Damping Factor (50Hz)

Frequency Response

5 Hz to 45 kHz

Slew Rate

14 V / µsec

Input Sensitivity (RCA)
Unbalanced

1.4 V

Input Sensitivity (XLR)
Balanced

2.8 V

Gain

28.3AV or 28dB

AC Line Voltage

120/220/240VDC

Level Controls

No

Binding Post Maximum Wire Gauge

4 AWG

Balanced Inputs

Yes

Control Input

5 - 24 VDC

Control Output

10 - 12VDC 200mA

Dimensions in Inches
(Cutout Dimensions)
(Width/Height/Depth)

17 (17 1/8) W
5 13/16 (5 15/16) H
15 3/4 (16 1/2) D

Shipping Weight

42 lbs.

Max Power Consumption

875 Watts

Max Current Draw

9 Amps

With these specs, you will have no trouble feeding your RF-7's with plenty of current(75 amps peak to peak).

Bill

10310ee4d4.jpg
c491159882.jpg
ref_200.2_back_01.jpg

Click image(s) for larger view

Brochure

1. I wish i understood what 75 Amps peak to peak means. I've been doing alot of reading, but that isnt making sense. Any help?

I am not an electrical or electronic engineer but I do know that a high current amp has a much easier time driving low impedence speakers, and handling the peaks and demands of music and HT. This may explain better explain things.

B & K Components, Ltd.

2100 Old Union Road • Buffalo, New York 14227 • 716-656-0026 • Fax: 716-656-1291

email: info@bkcomp.com www.bkcomp.com

July 30, 2004

Question: “What is a ‘high-current’ amplifier and why is it better?”

A “high-current” amplifier is capable of delivering power into low impedance loads (speakers)

without going into protection and/or shutting down. Ideally, an amplifier’s output power would double

every time the load presented at its output is halved. For example, an “ideal” amplifier rated 250

Watts @ 8 Ohms would deliver 500 Watts @ 4 Ohms, noting that the load has halved and the

power has doubled. In actuality, a “real-world” high-current amplifier capable of 250 Watts @ 8

Ohms might be delivering about 425 Watts @ 4 Ohms.

An easy way to identify a “high-current” amplifier for use with home consumer electronics is

to look at what happens to the power rating as the impedance of its load (speakers) drops. The

closer the amplifier comes to approaching the “ideal” amplifier scenario, the more current the

amplifier is capable of delivering and the better the sound reproduced by the speaker.

In a typical amplifier-speaker circuit, voltage and current are delivered to a very complex load

consisting of speaker drivers, resistors, inductors, and capacitors. Voltage may be thought of as the

potential to do work, and current as what actually flows to do the work. Although basic power may

be calculated by the simple multiplication of voltage and current, it is the delivery of the power from

the amplifier to the complex speaker load that accounts for why two amplifiers may have the same

power rating into identical impedances (speaker loads), but still be significantly different from one

another in sound quality. Some of these sound quality differences may include perceived loudness,

depth, and clarity. Amplifiers that are designed to operate with high voltage as opposed to high

current are typically much better suited to high impedance loads, typically 8 Ohms and higher.

Lower current rated amplifiers have been said to sound dynamically limited and “harsh” at high

listening levels.

High quality “audiophile” speakers can have nominal impedances from 8 – 2 Ohms, and

during very dynamic passages in source material can easily dip below 2 Ohms. These super low

impedance drops can easily choke a high voltage amplifier with limited power storage capacity. For

a high-voltage amplifier, this will likely cause problems and trigger its protection, not to mention the

less than nice sound it may produce. A high-current amplifier operates with much less effort and

typically does not have any problem with these types of speakers.

B & K amplifiers employ a high-current design with large amounts of capacitive power

storage. Modern B & K amplifiers can handle nominal impedance of 4 Ohms, as well as dips below 1

Ohm while remaining stable, loud and clear with deep bass and good three-dimensionality. A good

example of a “real-world” situation being very close to an “ideal” situation would be our Reference

200.1 mono amplifier. Rated 250 Watts @ 8 Ohms with 150 peak-peak Amps of current, it is quite

the powerhouse. When used with a 4 Ohm load the Reference 200.1 kicks out a cool 425 Watts!

That’s about as close to perfect as one could expect.

So, what’s the bottom line? For use with lower impedance speakers, high-current amplifiers

sound louder, cleaner, and provide more depth than their high-voltage counterparts. High-current

amplifiers will not shut down when the speaker presents a difficult load due to varying dynamics in

source material.

2. Will there be an issue if I always leave it on?

I think the only drawback to leaving your amp on is that it will draw current and waste energy. Watch out for the green police.

Bill