Newbie looking for the best bang for the buck on a limited budget

mjgptdawg

Hey guys,

I've been researching the past few weeks trying to find the best bang for my buck on a receiver/home theater speaker combo. I've figured out that I definitely want Klipsch speakers. We just moved into a new home, and am in the process of finishing our basement. Going to have a dedicated entertainment area. It's not going to be a closed off space for a dedicated home theater room. The area where the TV/surround sound is going to go is approximately 13x21, but it is an open floor plan with a bar behind it and a hallway that adds probably another 10x15' or so. 9 foot ceiling.

Anyway, with all that done, I'm on a very limited budget for the time being, but am definitely wanting to upgrade my 8 year old Onkyo HTIB (HTS767C)

My budget right now is probably onlyy $6-800. I know that is not a lot, and most audiophiles on here are used to listening to 2k plus systems. I intend to get there in time, but can't at the moment.

So what's the best bang for my buck

I was wanting to go with a deal at Newegg where you can get a Yamaha RX-V567 7.1 3D receiver and the Klipsch HDT500 for $599. This seems perfect for me right now.

However, I also realize that this system might not be the best for a room this size, but also seems the best fit for my budget. Looked at the higher power HDT1000, but can't find a combo deal that is this good (I basically get the receiver for free)

Is this the best bet for me right now, or do you have any other recommendations in a similar price range for Klipsch speakers?

I've looked on Craigslist locally here in Cincinnati, and there really are no good options.

I could always buy these, then later on, (or even now) upgrade the center channel and sub.

Love reading these forums. Any insight would be appreciated.

Mjgptdawg,

Welcome to the forum.

If the main focus of your entertainment room is movies/sports, a small bookself system just won't do it any justice in a large room like yours. If you are open to floorstanding speakers and taking a couple of hours drive, this is an awesome pair for a good price. Let these be the starting point and get the other pieces as $$$ comes available.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/ele/1804816929.html

If it was me, I would not "settle" for a lesser(small) system only to upgrade(spend more $$$) later. Set a reasonable budget and piece your system together over time. Great deals on used(and new) come up all the time. JMO

Bill

Bill,

Thank you so much for the response. And yes, my main objective is for movies/sports, so I assumed that this was too big of a room for this system.

Do you think this is worth it to get the receiver though? I could then just turn around and sell the speakers and get this receiver now for probably only like $200 after I sell the speakers.

Those speakers look very nice. I agree that piecing it together over time would probably be the best thing, but it's unreal that after spending $650, I still have to buy a center channel, rears, and a sub ;)

The wife may not want these floorstanding speakers, but I'm going to try to talk her into them over time. not, I guess I'll look at other bookshelf type speakers.

Would I be able to get a good set of rear speakers that are small enough to be able to be used for a ceiling mount, or are most rear speakers ceiling mountable? I was wanting to get the mount set up with the speaker wire run through before the guy did the drywall on my ceiling.

This looks like a good deal too, but again, I don't know what I'm looking for. I just assume that all Klipsch speakers look good :)

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1837941835.html

So I think you convinced me to wait on my speakers.

However, I do think I am going to buy this NewEgg deal to get the RX-V567 receiver. That plus the HDT500 seems like a great deal.

Then I am going to turn around and sell the speakers on EBAY or Craigslist.

This receiver seems to be more than powerful enough to control higher level speakers from Klipschs (such as the R5, etc.)?

If I buy this and wait on the speakers, I figured I can at least get the receiver for $200 after selling the HDT500

Guys,

I would appreciate input. I am thinking of buying this set of speakers:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1837941835.html

They were purchased in 2003, and it looks to be a good deal. I would then pair this was the Yamaha receiver mentioned above.

Is this a good deal? I am new to learning about all the different Klipsch brands, and I know that 7 years old is nothing for good Klipsch speakers, and this guy has taken care of them well.

Please let me know your thoughts on these speakers as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Matt