Energy ES XL 18 and RT12d

shake777

I can get the Energy cheap for $800. I really want an 18 of some kind but its only 400w and no room correction. I'm also considering adding another RT12d instead ($1500). With an 18X16 space I feel like mabye I'm good with just the one RT12d. My Denon has ouputs for three subs. Convoluted question I know but please suggest. Alternative options welcome as well. Thanks, Nic

Are you not getting enough output from the RT12d you already own? Mixing two different subs will create phase differences that could actually be more detrimental than beneficial. Are you sure you're getting the max performance out what you already have? Moving your sub or listening position around might be enough to get you what you're looking for....

The amplifier RMS rating of a sub does not tell much about the actual ACOUSTIC OUTRUT. If fact too many Mickey Mouse sub advertise KILOWATT power amps and would be embarassed by a "100W" sub. Extreme example Danley Cine Monster VS any home sub, feed the Cine Monster "only" 100W and be prepared to feel like dumy being beaten to a pulp.

It is all about how SENSITIVE, EFFICIENT you driver is in its cabinet. Most tiny seald subs have very poor sensitivity and need massive amps power to reach measly ACOUSTIC OUTPUT. And this with poor extension and little energy in the SHAKE zone!

The RT12d is a fine average sub(output and extension) when compared to the heavyweights on the market.

Filling a 18*16 space with one RT12d may be fine if you do not demand massive output AND your sub is set up correctly. Me to my taste I need an army of more capable modules in a space 14*10 ! That is just me...[:D]

I can see from your system that you're not kidding. Not to be the Fox and the sour grapes but my theater is going to be in a townhome. Its an end unit with a firewall separating us but I don't have to tell you that it would still be a case of a whole lot of SHAKE'N going on with a bunch of massive high end sub power... even if I had the $ to make it happen. It seems like the best thing for me is to enjoy what I have as its most likely going to satisfy me. Thanks for helping me think it through.

One way to get more shake from your sub and not bother the neighbors as much is to place it nearfield (close to you). You can get the good bottom end you're looking for while using less sub gain and creating less vibration for your neighbors.