Mac server

colterphoto1

I use a Mini myself - great little HTPC and Music Server.

Would you elaborate on the use of error correction? I'm under the impression it only helps when there is damage to the surface of the disc, somehow doing a better job of reconstructing whats missing by sweeping the damaged section many times, thus the longer rip times.

You're the only person I've come across who uses Pure Music. Were the benefits immediately apparent or stealthy? I know you can launch iTunes by itself or with PM to easily A/B compare the output. I still stumble on the fact that it's just digital ones and zeros and can't wrap my brain around how software ONLY can make such a supposed difference for the better. I'm holding off on the free 15 day trial till I finish some arranging in my system.

I can not speak for the technical reasons for error correction. I had a couple discussions with Gordon Rankin of Wavelength and he believes it is important to the quality of the DAC output. He knows his stuff so I mentioned it in my post.

I know the data is digital but the code that the digital data passes through is key. The better the code suits a purpose the better the result. Some code is written to do a lot of things well. Some code is written to do specialized things. I think such things a dithering, upsampling and buffering are important parts of the code. As I said I am not technically knowledgeable about the workings of Pure Music but it is specialized code that sounds much better to me. This quality improvement was not stealthy in my opinion it was obviously better. (cleaner, more dynamic and spacial).

Robert Robinson of Pure Music has some white papers and some research links on his site if you want to learn more.