New Reference line is it better than the old line

vigiano

I recently purchased a set of rf 82, rc62, rs52 and rw 12d speakers. I noticed on the Klipsch site that they no longer sell these and have a new line. Does anyone know whether it is a significant change or are they about the same as the speakers I bought 4 weeks ago. I read the description on the web site and it sounded like new drivers, crossover and logos.

Hi Vigiano,

The new line has lighter woofer baskets (aluminum), updated speaker 'feet, updated grills, and new compression drivers. From Klipsch:" New Tractrix horn tweeters incorporate Linear Travel Suspension and titanium compression drivers, which work together to reduce distortion and provide an open, natural sound." Apparently technology handed down from the higher-end Palldium series. This allows the tweeters to handle more power and sound into the lower frequencies to which they are now crossed over at. Like you, I just recently purchased the last generation surrounds (RS62's) and a week later the newer and nicer RS62 II was released. I worked with my dealer to trade in my old one's for the newer ones (even trade) and picked them up yesterday at his store. I also got to check out the new RF82 II. Much cleaner look/grill than the old RF82, has new compression driver and horn and new 'higher-end' looking feet and at the same price as the old ones. I had the RS62's for three weeks and did alot of critical listening. The newer ones seem to deliver enhanced nuances from the music, especially horns, guitar, and evne more realism/crispness in vocals. All subjective of course but I could definitely notice a 'new' sound compared to the old ones. Also, the new RS62 II have a much nicer grill IMO and better WAF. I will be upgrading my newly purchased RC64 to the RC64 II when it's available in October as I expect the vocals in movies to be similarly enhanced going from the old 1.25" titanium driver to the 1.75" titanium driver with much lower cross-over point. I am new to this forum and had started a post last night with pictures of my new RS62 IIs but got a popup saying it needs to be reviewed by a moderator. Hopefully it gets posted today and you can check 'em out.

Vigiano, CopperCone,

I welcome you both to the forum.

old 1" titanium driver to the 1.75" titanium driver with much lower cross-over point.

I want to make a polite correction. The tweeter in the RC-64 is 1.25 inches instead of 1 inch. That alone makes the transition from the 6.5 inch cones to the 1.25 inch tweeter much more seamless than a 1 inch would. I am sure with the 1.75 inch tweeter in the RC-64 II, the new crossover point will be even smoother. JMO.

Bill

willland, thanks for the correction.. I made the edit. It's the RS62 II that (still) has only a 1" compression driver. I was hoping the new surrounds would have a 1.25" or 1.75" driver to sonically match the RF-7 IIs and RC-64 IIs. I was also hoping the new surrounds would have a matching real wood veneer to match the the RF-7 IIs and RC-64 IIs. I would have paid a little extra for that [:D]. However, I am pleased with the more aesthetic grill which integrates nicely into a corner of the living room.

I called Klipsch tech suppport and the technician told me I probably wouldn't notice much difference in the sound of the new line. The grill and feet are supposed to look nicer. The on line authorized retailer insisted he was giving me a deep discount for the discontinued reference speakers, However when I checked his pricing for the new line 2 weeks later it was only 20$ more. So I love the speakers and I'm going to enjoy them. The dealer did give me a great deal. I can't believe you can get such quality for a great price.

I called Klipsch tech suppport and the technician told me I probably wouldn't notice much difference in the sound of the new line. The grill and feet are supposed to look nicer.

I probably wouldn't put too much stock in what a technician told you regarding noticing a difference in the sound as intepretation of audio characteristics and acoustical nuances are quite subjective. Most people who have listened to both speakers would likely notice the difference between the 1300-2000 hertz range now being reproduced by a horn versus the woofer. Different sound characteristics especially since much of the human voice frequency falls within this range. I've noticed more pronounced vocals when listening to them in all-channel stereo mode. That said, if you are happy with the sound (and looks) of your current setup then I'd say just sit back and enjoy them. I've had both and they sound very similar except for some nuances and greater efficiency as well (I had to turn down each speaker signal 2 db on my Onkyo as they overpowered the center). For me I was going from the crescent shaped WS-24's to the obtrusive IMO looking pentagon (mostly V-shaped) RS62. I was elated when the new rounded version came out with the more aesthetically pleasing grill which is not only rounded but hides the side ports (huge WAF for me!). I wish I could post pictures but they get rejected by this forums moderator (?). If you're interested I'll just send you the links to the photos. The ones on Klipsch site, Vann's, crutchfield etc.. are limited and pretty weak [;)]

I bought these from an on line dealer and He told me that Klipsch came out with the line sooner than expected and he didn't decieve me by telling me the new speakers would cost more and he was giving me a "wholesale" deal due to the close out status. I told him I was in no hurry and he convinced me to purchase or lose the discount. I called him Yesterday and asked for a quote on the speakers and he was 20$ more. He was unappologetic and didn't offer any chance of me getting the New RF 82II in lieu of the RF 82's I bought a couple of weeks earlier at his insistence the new line was going to be so much more expensive. When I spoke to him yesterday and I identified who I was he put all blaime for his sales pitch on Klipsch. I really like the speakers I have, however I don't like the idea of being decieved. I would have waited for the RF 82's. I am going to call the Klipsch representative I spoke to before I made my purchase and see what he has to say. Perhaps the dealer was being honest. However if you go back on this site it is apparant that Klipsch online sales are always deeply discounted. I doubt anything will be done as the online retailer would want the shipping for the set of speakers which was $200 each way plus a 15% restock fee, another $250.

Vigiano,

I am disappointed to hear the online dealer will not work with you and seems to be shady. Can you tell us who they are so the forums members can steer clear? Are they a Klipsch certified dealer? Can you RMA the product back or is their any kind of return policy if you are not satisfied with your purchase? I have been reluctant to purchase any of my speakers online for fear of everything you've just said. I'm sure there may be some reputable online dealers, but for me I've had better success with getting pricing deals and warranty by going to my local dealer (I actually drive 2 hours away). For example, one of the RS62's had Vinyl peeling on the top of the speaker when I opened the box. My dealer told me he would call his rep and get me a new replacement. I picked up the replacement a week later. Then I noted the new RS62 II was released. I asked my dealer if he would be willing to upgrade me for even trade. He said the new one's retail at $100 more a pair but since he neglected to mention the new one's were coming out he would agree to trade up even. He told me he values having a long term customer and treats customer's the way he would want to be treated as a customer. So, this is the kind of treatment you will be hard-pressed to get online or especially at Best-Buy (they allow 30-day return on items but with restock fee and definitely no price breaks!). If you live in the New England area then I can give you my dealer's name, phone, and store information. Otherwise, if you really want the new stuff you may have to sell your speakers and take a hit .. which is likely an expensive route to take.

In any event, you DO have some high quality speakers which should provide an enjoyable listening experience.